Thursday, August 25, 2011

Last date night EVER

Andi and I went to a movie tonight. Because that's what you do when you're 40+ weeks pregnant; go to a dark place where people can't stare at you like your water is going to break before their very eyes. Well, that and it'll be the last time we EVER go to a movie, you know. The most popular piece of advice I've received this pregnancy is GO TO A MOVIE! ... YOU'LL NEVER GET TO GO AGAIN! Which, I find to be a strange recommendation all together. Movies really aren't my thang, so I could care less about this life experience being sucked away thanks to my future child.

We saw Bridesmaids, by the way, and it was freaking hilarious. I fully recommend you all shut your computer lid after reading this post and go see it immediately if you haven't already. Funny stuff....

Anyhoo, when Andi pulled into the parking lot I was a little confused. Earlier, he said "yes" when I asked if the movie was in Hopkins (I thought we were going to the cheap theatre) but he must have been doing one of those things where he just nods and says "uh huh" without really listening to what I said. So, when we arrived at Cinema Grill in New Hope which is located in a weirdo strip mall next to "Asian Therapy" and Dollar General, I questioned where the heck he was taking me.

We walked into a large lobby of arcade games and a guy working behind the desk; no smell of popcorn and candy in the air (the main reason I usually agree to a movie in the first place). We paid the man (who only accepted cash, btw) and walked down the ramp to the theatre. Inside we found a restaurant with chairs, tables and booths ... and a movie screen. Cinema Grill just may be the strangest movie theatre I've ever seen. Ok well, that's not completely true. There was this experience in Thailand - but the strangest I've seen in a Midwest suburban strip mall, that's for sure. This place was a cross between a comedy club and movie theatre complete with a server, food menu and a full bar. I ordered a Diet Sierra Mist and Andi ordered a Captain/Coke and Chocolate Chimichanga with Ice Cream. Classic movie theatre eats, wouldn't you say? He seemed pretty stoked about it.

All this to say the movie was awesome and the fact you could drink was pretty cool too (that is, if I could have enjoyed that aspect), but the seats didn't fair so well. At 10 months pregnant, I couldn't find a comfortable position on the hard booth we selected or the pleather office chairs situated around the table. The theatre was packed though, so it's obviously the most happening thing to do in the 'burbs. The fact some people stumbled out of there drunk as hell probably contributes to its glimmering popularity.

Chock it up to a new 'burb experience. Our last date night until Baby Girl arrives; only the finest for us.

1 comment:

  1. THAT SOUNDS AWESOME! MOM, CHERI, JES AND I WENT TO SEE THE MOVIE "KNOCKED UP" WHEN I WAS 9 MOS PREGNANT WITH BROOKE... HOW IRONIC HUH? CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU SOON SISTER! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete