Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What's that smell?

In hindsight, not my brightest moment ...

I got the genius idea to pre-chop some of my CSA veggies this weekend. My thought being, I'll freeze some for later use and leave a little in the fridge for meals during the week. I'm far more likely to make something for dinner these days if the prep work is easy. I chopped up some zucchini, eggplant, summer squash, onions and garlic and put each of them into individually marked Ziploc bags for later use. Smart, right?

WRONG.

Andi and I ran some errands on Saturday afternoon and came back to a REALLY strong smell of garlic in the house. We opened some windows to air out the house and figured it'd eventually go away. A few hours later, we opened the door to the refrigerator and about FELL OVER from the overpowering smell of garlic in the fridge. Who knew chopping up garlic and putting it in a sealed Ziploc bag would be so pungent?!

We moved the garlic into the freezer to see if that would help, but it didn't. Now our fridge AND freezer reek of garlic. We opened a box of baking soda, but it still isn't helping. I feel bad throwing the garlic away because I know it took a lot of time and effort for the farmers to grow and dry it all, not to mention the time I took to chop it up. But seriously ... it's horrible!

Any good tricks to eliminating odors from the fridge? And how to store freshly chopped garlic?

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! Ive never had luck keeping a chopped onion without stink either. Might try a glass canning jar with tight lid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think baking soda takes care of odors! but you might need a few boxes of it. just open up the box and leave it in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete