Thursday, August 11, 2011

Preparing to be a Big Sister

Chloe pup is 6 1/2 years old and very used to being Mommy's center of attention.


For years, I've spoiled her rotten with lots of ice cream licks, sleeping in bed when Daddy's away and her fair share of doggie treats. While in my eyes she does nothing wrong, Daddy is often frustrated with her lack of listening skills. (I prefer to believe she practices acute selective hearing.)

People like to ask how Chloe will handle her new little sister and I have to admit, I'm a little worried about her reaction. I know she won't hurt the baby, but I won't be surprised if she sulks in the corner for a few weeks as Mommy's attention is diverted to someone else. The all-knowing Internet and many baby books suggest playing tracks of baby cries or letting dogs smell baby's things to familiarize them with the upcoming change in household, but I never bought into all of that hoopla. She'll sense the change in family dynamic and adjust, just like the rest of us. Eventually ...

Well, apparently the change is happening faster than we expected. Our nightly ritual is to lay in bed for a half hour or so and watch t.v. I always tell Chloe she can lay in bed with us before we turn off the lights, but then she has to lay in her bed on the floor. Never once is she happy with us when we lower her to the ground. "Go lay down, Chloe" we tell her. It never fails, she gives us attitude - sitting next to the bed with a low-toned ruff. We tell her a few more times to go lay down and eventually she cooperates.

BUT! The last three night, Chloe has LISTENED to Daddy's instructions and it's completely freaking Andi and I out. As the t.v. turns off, he simply says "Go lay down, Chloe" and she immediately jumps off the bed and lays down in her bed. Immediately, as in, we only have to tell her once. The first time it happened, Andi and I looked at each other with confusion and then busted out in laughter. Did she really just do that? We thought it was a fluke until she did it again and again.

This proves two points: I think she knows Baby Sister is arriving any day and Mommy and Daddy need a cooperative pup. Also, she can understand exactly what we say all the time. What a little stinker!

1 comment:

  1. What a great daughter! It's amazing how our pets become like family members! I would be lost without my Lucy girl!!

    ReplyDelete