Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fourth of July Week: Weekend 2

We decided to drive home from the cabin early this morning, so Saturday was our last day of our week-long vacation at the lake. As relaxing as it was, I think both Andi and I were ready to get back to reality. Well, maybe not the responsibility part; just being in our own home.

Ellie and Derrick decided to leave the cabin on Saturday, so we all bummed around and did a few chores before they hit the road. Unfortunately, we don't have trash service at the cabin so we usually haul all our garbage back home with us. With all the fireworks debris and ten days worth of garbage, we couldn't take it all home with this time, so we decided to visit a nearby town's incinerator instead. The facility converts the waste to energy and powers the local cheese factory so I felt a little better about going there. It was one of those experiences though, where Andi and I both looked at each other and wondered where the heck we were. It smelled horribly and I've never seen Andi and Derrick move as fast as they did when they unloaded the garbage. So gross and definitely brings to the forefront where your garbage goes when you throw it away in the trash can.

Afterwards, Andi and I decided to visit the Turtle Lake County Fair taking place about 10 miles from the cabin. It was everything we hoped it would be; awesome people watching and quite entertaining. I have a special soft spot in my heart for small town county fairs after visiting my own hometown's annual event when I was little.

Tory's first carnival game - the Duck Pond!
(She won a rubber ducky)

The truck pull taking place at the fair.
First time I'd ever seen anything like this!
First carousel ride
Tory didn't cry, but she was shaking like a leaf while we rode the carousel together. I imagine it is a bit overwhelming for a little girl with all the bright lights, movement and music. I couldn't resist riding it with her though, and I think she did great overall.
It was hot! My girlie and I taking a water break.
Later in the day, Andi, Tory and I went to a BBQ at a neighboring cabin on the lake. Joe and Lisa invited tons of friends and family over for a feast of smoked brisket, turkey, ham, salmon, venison and as many side salads and desserts as the eye could see. The party was the perfect ending to our week on the lake.



There are so many wonderful memories made during this year's Fourth of July holiday. It was my baby girls' first and I'll always cherish the quality time our little family of three spent together on Pipe Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment