Saturday, July 14, 2012

Hair to Enlighten Me?

Because we're in the thrones of swimming suit season and my curiosity knows no bounds, I ask you: do you bikini wax, Brazilian wax or, er, maintain your personal business another way?

Last weekend at the cabin, the conversation came up amongst the ladies and afterwards, I wondered how other girls handle this delicate subject. One of the girls had a bikini wax appointment earlier in the day and it struck me that I've never really considered having my below-the-belt area professionally maintained. Does waxing hurt? How often do you have to keep it up? Isn't it embarrassing?

I remember the first time I heard a group of females discussing Personal Area Maintenance in college. We were sitting at the dining room table in our sorority's cafeteria and a few girls were discussing shaving their nether regions completely bare. HOLY CRAP! Were they really talking about this out loud? I couldn't believe it. Those Omaha girls were craaazy. (They happened to be from Omaha. Big city ideas from these Nebraska girls. Heh.) Since then, I've had plenty of conversations with women about personal topics and I'm not ashamed to ask the Internet about your methods. Come on, aren't you just a little bit interested to learn what everyone else does?

So, enlighten me. Leave a comment and tell me if you bikini wax, Brazilian or something completely different. Comment as Anonymous if you don't want to identify yourself. Do you have a waxing story to share? I'd love to know what to expect if I decide to make an appointment. I'm seriously considering it ...

10 comments:

  1. I've never been waxed. I've thought about it, but wouldn't know where to go (or if I *really* want to), so I just haven't bothered. Before our Vegas trip in May I as thisclose to buying a groupon for it, but realized there wouldn't be enough time to fit the appointment in before the trip.

    As for what to expect, I found this post from last fall fascinating.
    http://www.mandajuice.com/mandajuice/2011/09/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-brazilian-waxing-and-plenty-you-probably-didnt-.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be going to Rio soon...I had an appointment before our Vegas trip (for my first time!) and had done my due diligence preparing for this appointment (they say 1/4in!) BUT unexpectedly the hubby couldn't make it to swimming lessons and there was NO WAY I was going to be able to hide the grow out...so I had to shave the night before my appointment. Big let down...I'm excited (& scared shitless) to get it done, but for now I will have to wait until I have some time to let it grow out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had waxes before, but not for a long time - I did it a few times before a tropical vacation so that I wouldn't have to mess with anything while there. I think just once the wax was an actual brazillian - and that was my first one too! :) I went to the Refinery in Dinkytown, which is consistently rated as one of the top places to get a wax in the cities. They did a great job and it wasn't awkward at all - they went very quickly. It obviously hurt but it was over fast. I get my brows waxed every time I get my hair cut too and I guess it pretty much feels the same except magnified a bit due to nerve endings in the area.

    I haven't had a bikini wax in several years and just maintain the area when necessary myself. I do usually choose to wear swim shorts for this exact reason :) (among others, being that I hate my upper thighs and find them disgusting, so the shorts are necessary for multiple reasons)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started getting Brazilians in April, before we took a trip to Mexico, and I haven't looked back. So much easier for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had two done. It was more embarrassing when I did it the first time before kids but then after I didn't care as much. I figure they see it all day every day. One of my friends does it so I might have her. I think I would actually feel more comfortable now. Also, the last time I did it - incredible. Loved it for my cruise. Wish I had the money/time to maintain it. You should have it done about every three weeks if I remember right her telling me.
    Yes, it hurts a tad but it isn't as horrible as you build it up to be. Worth it.
    I get horrible shaving bumps. Grrr...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get the worst rashes when I shave, so I used to get Brazilians and OH MY GOD it hurts like nothing I've ever experienced before. Then I got laser hair removal on my bikini and underarm. Expensive, but MUCH less uncomfortable and more permanent. And you didn't have to let it grow out between appointments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do the brazilian wax and pain and all I love it. There's 1 place I go in Philly - 2 Russian ladies, 1 is an ex-nurse so for some reason I feel more comfortable with her. They do it in like 2 minutes flat - boy does it hurt but the more you get it done the less uncomfortable it feels, both physical and emotional :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had laser hair removal - it's expensive but totally worth it. No more worrying about letting it grow out for waxing, or having gross and painful ingrown hairs or razor burn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where do you go for laser? I'm very interested!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Heather! I’m probably a little late with this, but when bikini season is around, I usually go for a bikini wax to clean up down there! I usually have it done by a professional, but I’ve tried going natural and DIY with it too. The results are basically the same. The only difference is that I’m usually more relaxed and confident when I get it done by a pro because they do have a certain expertise over these kinds of things. Anyway, I hope I helped you out with that!

    ReplyDelete