Friday, July 13, 2012

Tory, Lately

Tory, lately, has been so full of change. I love, love, love this baby stage for everything it is. She is so full of energy and curiosity. And the smiles! Oh, they're in a never ending supply. My heart swells every time she reaches up and puts her arms around me. There's even a little part of me that would crawl into her crib while she sleeps if I could. I'm crazy, I know. I'm just so in love with that girl.

So changes, yes. They're happening so quickly and we're really starting to see glimpses of who Tory will be when she grows older. I'm glad Andi captured this video of her dancing the other weekend because as darling as it was to watch her groove, the phase seems to be gone. She went from dancing to music in the aisles of the grocery store to staring at me shocked and confused when I boggie down in front of her. The dancing queen has left the building.

Tory Bean loves the water. Oh my gosh, do we have a little fish on our hands. She finished her first session of swimming lessons in June and is now enrolled in the summer classes through August. When Tory started this spring, she was six months old and the youngest child in her class. Her other classmates were toddlers and naturally grasped techniques at a faster pace than she did. I wasn't sure how much she really knew because in comparison, it seemed like the other kids were more advanced. Once summer swim lesson started though, it was clear how much she really knew as her love for the water blossomed. Tory now can hold her breathe underwater for 5 seconds (!!), comfortably back float for 30 seconds at a time, and blow bubbles with her face in the water. I can't say enough positive things about the swim school she's enrolled in and the life saving water skills she's learned. Tory also loves the lake at the cabin this summer. She not afraid to play and splash in the water and even tolerates her life jacket fairly well. Andi can't wait for the day she begs him to take her tubing behind the boat.


Tory is a social butterfly and loves to be around other kids. I signed her up for story time at the library last month and she's befriended a little boy named Max. She was drawn to him like a moth to a flame; she'd literally dive-bomb him as she tried to pull up and play next to him. She loves all little kids and waves feverishly telling them "hi, hi, hi." She does not like the sound of babies crying though. At the cabin last week, there were several different babies at various BBQs and gatherings and she burst into tears every time one of the babies would fuss. I'm not sure if it was sympathy tears or if the crying startled her but it awfully hard to keep a straight face. It was just too cute.


I shouldn't be, but I'm shocked at how smart she is. We fashioned this gate around furniture in the cabin living room to keep Tory away from the stairs. (We weren't able to put up a traditional baby gate there).  After spending three weekends at the cabin, Tory has learned how to open the baby gate door by herself. She just reaches up on her little tippy toes and lifts the handle. Little stinker! She also knows exactly where she's not suppose to play and tempts me with a devilish grin as she bee-lines toward the no-no object. The other day I walked up on her playing in the dog food bowl. In a deep voice behind her I said, "hey!" She scurried away from there like lightning, crawled under the dining room table and started bawling. She knew she was up to no good. It took all I had not to laugh.


This is the best baby age yet. I'm not sad at all about how quickly Tory is growing. All these changes make it so much fun to be her mom.

1 comment:

  1. So much fun!! I also loved that stage of baby-hood - I really loved every stage more than the last until this current emotional-hot-mess filled stage we're in right now with Annie :) But, as with all stages, there are good parts of it too!

    ReplyDelete