Monday, July 30, 2012

Letters to Tory: 11 Months

Tory,

I always wanted to be a mom, but I never imagined it would be this wonderful. Does every parent feel this way, or am I just this lucky to have an amazing kid like you?


Like every month, you've changed and grown so much lately. Physically, you're becoming a daddy mini-me and I wonder how a little girl who resembled her mama so much at birth could change so dramatically. You have a flare for adventure, which might be why you remind me so much of him, with a dangerous side of mischievousness.

Had to snap a photo of this before telling you "no no."
Parenting; it's a balancing act between doing what's right and capturing the cute.
You've learned to climb on top of things (evident by this photo of you standing on your rocking chair), but it's your love for crawling underneath things that keeps you most entertained. If you can play under a chair or the kitchen table, inside a cupboard or cardboard box, you're one happy girl. You love baby dolls and books, swimming lessons, bright colors, trees and animals. Your favorite songs are "Wheels on the Bus," ABC's and "If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands" -- complete with actions. Just a note of one of those tunes has you swish, swish, swishing like the wipers on a school bus and clapping your hands together. This month, you started to "moo" like a cow and growl like a lion. Still no "mama" or "dada" though. (We see where your priorities lie). Tory video

The surprised look on your face captured in this photo is classic Tory these days. It's your way of saying "whoa Mom, did you see the way that toy moved? Or, can you believe I almost fell out of this rocking chair?" You're more expressive with your emotions this month -- happy, surprised, scared, excited -- and it's fascinating to see the world discovered through your eyes.



It's been a big milestone month for you. In the last three weeks, you've gained three new teeth, started walking while hanging onto furniture and took your very first steps alone. I'm not sure I'd describe you "walking" just yet, but you're so very close. The other day, I was standing on the three-season porch talking to Daddy and you were standing next to me, holding onto my leg. You just let go and took two or three steps by yourself. In the days since, you continue to perfect the skill. I know everyone says we'll have our hands full once you start walking on your own but honestly, I'm so excited for you. 


You're showing more interest in solid food, slowly but surely. I used to think you didn't like foods with bigger chunks or textures, but I've since learned it's all about finding foods you like. Your favorites are yogurt, cottage cheese, cucumbers and crackers. Fruit of any kind? Forget about it.

Eleven months. It's hard to believe it. Next month, we celebrate a year!

Love,
Mama

1 comment: