Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

Had an awesome day today! Still in Charlottesville, Virginia for work meetings, which were a fun mix of history about the town/area and about our company's corporate social responsibility programming (the reason we all came together this week).

We started off the day with a tour of the University of Virginia where we operate 25+ restaurants, coffee cafes and convenience stores on the campus "grounds." I was blown away by the amount of history and preservation on this campus. It's so beautiful! We learned all about Thomas Jefferson, who founded the campus in 1819 and toured the "academical village" where Jefferson built gardens, academic buildings and living quarters for students. There's a room sectioned off where Edgar Allen Poe used to live while a student here and students are still living right next door!

Pic of the campus Rotunda building


After meetings this afternoon, we boarded a charter bus to Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's estate. We spent the evening here, touring the home's living quarters and sitting rooms. I could feel all the history in these rooms - it's amazing to think about all the life that's come before us and all the life that will follow.

Thomas Jefferson's Monticello Estate


I have to admit, I felt a little stupid on all of our tours today. While I learned about Thomas Jefferson as a young student, I can't say I exactly remembered all the history about him. I definintely didn't know anything about Monticello (or had forgotten everything I'd learned in 5th grade). But after today's town tour, I'm all caught up :)

Tomorrow, we're touring a local farm following a few GreenStorm (brainstorming) meetings in the AM. Can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment