Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Focus On The Good

Yesterday began the first day of Andi's whirlwind weeks of work travel and I'm trying reeeeeally hard not to be bogged down by his absence. I've been dreading this time on the calendar for weeks because I know how lonely and frustrated I feel when he's gone. Logically, I also know how silly it is for me to feel this way. We're lucky his business is thriving and without all his hard work, we wouldn't be able to live the life we do. Sigh, it's just, I miss him terribly when he's gone ... and parenthood is so much more tiring when I have to do everything by myself.

I'm trying to focus on the good things ahead this week:
  • Our beautiful Minnesota weather, sunshine (!!) and taking Tory and Chloe for walks outside.
  • It's Spring Break at work and almost everyone is on vacation except for me ... which means few meetings, lots of quiet time to catch-up on projects and little stress.
  • Tory and I are flying to Nebraska this weekend to see my family. Planning ahead this time and knowing I'd be down-in-the-dumps with Andi being away, I made plans for the one thing that always makes me feel better - going back home.
  • I have a date night scheduled with my best friend Ashley this weekend with big plans to drink wine! Go out to dinner! Get a much-needed pedicure! Ashley wanted to see Tory Bean but like a good friend, obliged, when I begged for a few hours of girl time. My parents will love the solo time with Tory, too.
Time will fly by while he's gone, right?

I should also mention what a lovely time Andi, Tory and I shared at the cabin last weekend. I soaked up every single moment of togetherness before his crazy work schedule began. We drove to the cabin Friday night after Tory's bedtime (and avoided a baby car meltdown, for the win!). On Saturday, we took Tory and Chloe for a walk outside and laid around the cabin all afternoon relaxing, reading books, playing toys and enjoying each other's company.






On Saturday night, we took Tory out to dinner at Hilltop Restaurant for the first time. I'm always too scared to take her into restaurants for fear she'll be too noisy. Plus, how enjoyable is it really to wrangle a wiggly baby for an hour or two while trying to eat? Not very. But Saturday's dinner went well and Andi and I took turns eating while the other held Tory. I suspect things will get easier when she's able to partake in eating with us (even if it's only Cheerios to keep her busy).

We're lucky to have the cabin to retreat to on the weekends. It's a peaceful place for us to spend time together and a nice break from reality. Here's hoping the remainder of this week flies by and my weekend in Nebraska is as fun as the last one.

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see you and Tory this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather I feel you on the loneliness factor. Henry's has been absent a lot lately, but like you said, we wouldn't be where we are today without his hard work. I try to be positive also and plan stuff to keep us busy!! Go figure though - all the times either I and/or 1 or both of the kids come down with something, he's been away :( Stay positive and enjoy family time - jealous that you get to see everyone again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to see you and Tory this weekend.... and Tara Joy you are welcome here anytime...we'd love to have you guys come visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww a little bit of Nebraska love this weekend...I'm so happy for you guys. I would beg for a time to meet but we have little man's baptism so it's a weekend full of family. But NEXT time you're in Omaha we are definitely going to get the kiddos together! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww a little bit of Nebraska love this weekend...I'm so happy for you guys. I would beg for a time to meet but we have little man's baptism so it's a weekend full of family. But NEXT time you're in Omaha we are definitely going to get the kiddos together! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete