Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Little Swimmer

Since Tory turned six months old, I've been itching to sign her up for some kiddo classes. Getting her involved in an activity will be something fun for her to do, especially since her weekday excursions usually peak with trips to Target and the grocery store. Plus, I'm looking for ways to meet other moms in our area with similar-aged babies. I started doing some research and found lots of options to get involved including EFCE groups, swimming lessons, story time at the library, baby music classes and more. We decided to start with baby swimming since cabin season is upon us and familiarizing Tory with the water is something important to both Andi and I. We also thought swimming would be something fun for Andi to do with Tory so whenever possible (when he's not traveling for work) he'll participate in the class with her.

Friday was Tory's first swimming lesson at Foss Swim School and she did fantastic! She's signed up for Back float Baby 1 which ranges in ages 6 months - 3 years. There are two other kids in her class and both are much older than she is, but that didn't stop her from getting right in on the action. In fact, I almost think her younger age is an advantage as she wasn't as anxious to put her face in the water or get splashed a little bit. Her instructor at Foss was so patient and fun and Andi and I both loved how much importance they stress in creating a routine in the pool (how to get in and out, etc.) so young babies/toddlers become familiar with safe ways to play. Tory never shed a tear during her 30 minute class. We were so proud of her!

More interested in what the other little kiddos were doing than taking a photo with Daddy, obviously. Come on, Tory! It's your very first swim class! (She could care less about making memories).

The kids sing Humpty Dumpty before falling off the wall into the pool. We just flew through the part where Humpty cracks his head. Minor detail, not to concern you children ...



Miss Tory had to be bribed with a toy to chew in order to put her elbows on the floating bar. (Even at 6 months she has a mind of her own)!


Andi's traveling during next week's class so it'll be just Tory and I at the pool. Logistically, I think it'll be a little more difficult to wrangle a wet baby in the locker room when I, too, will be dripping wet but I'm sure we'll manage. I'm just glad I had one week to get the lay of the land before I have to conquer swim class solo with her!

------

I'm curious to hear what other activities you've signed your kids up for? Any suggestions on what class or activity Tory should do next?

4 comments:

  1. Get her involved in dance, you don't want to fall behind the other kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring a Bumbo when it's just you and Tori at the pool. Gives her a clean place to sit while you get ready and it can fit sideways into a locker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tory is so cute in her swimming suit!!

    We too are looking for some activities for Lauren this summer. So far we have just done informal things like visiting the zoo, children's museum, and crafts/activities at home. I hope to get her in swim lessons and possibly toddler time at the library.

    One mom I was talking to does Stroller Strides. Our town does not offer it - but I guess it is a fitness class for mom and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like Tory (and daddy) had a great time at her first swim lesson. We have been figuring out which swimming school we are going to get Cruz enrolled in once he turns 6 months. I think it's so smart to get them started early because it will help ensure their safety as they start walking and around pools/other bodies of water.

    Have fun on your own next week!

    ReplyDelete