Thursday, March 1, 2012

Letters to Tory: Six Months

Tory Bean,

Six months and one day ago I waddled around our house, round and pregnant, anxiously waiting the next chapter of my life to begin. The part I saw in my dreams so clearly; your sweet little face, lying on a blanket reading books together, snuggling in bed with Daddy on Saturday mornings. Those are the things I knew would be part of my new life with you. What I didn't know then is how complete you'd make me feel. My heart swells with joy everyday because of you.

Here we are on your half birthday and time has flown by faster than I'd like to acknoledge. I look back at your newborn pictures in amazement because I cannot believe how tiny you once were. Today, your beautiful brown eyes (which have finally turned from deep blue), wiggly worm kicks and infectious personality give us a view of the little lady you're becoming. 


This month you transitioned into 6-9 month clothes and size 3 diapers. They look huge when I hold them up (this can't possibly fit my baby!) and yet they do. You're growing up so quickly. At 25 weeks old, you tasted your first sweet potatoes and loved them! You've also tried bananas and carrots, too. We now feed you a mix of fruits or veggies and rice cereal at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sleep is still not your friend, little bean. Everyone said you'd sleep in longer stretches when you started solid foods but this hasn't made a difference as you're still waking most nights every 2-3 hours. Most of the time I don't mind snuggling you back to sleep beceause I know these days are numbered. Someday soon you'll be sleeping through the night and when you do I'll realize just how fast my baby girl is growing up.


These days, your favorite pasttimes are playing with Sophie the Giraffe, sucking on your big toe, taking baths and slobbering on any rattle you can get your hands on. You're the most ticklish little girl I've ever seen and kisses on your belly, your feet and your neck send you in an all-out gigglefest. Finally at six months old, you're finding interest in rolling over. You learned how over two months ago, but it wasn't until recently you discovered how cool the world is from a belly's point of view.


When I reflect on these last six months, I remember the challenges of our first few weeks together. I didn't know how to be your mom, didn't know the difference between your cries, your favorite songs or the way you liked to be snuggled. These days, that's all become second nature and being your mom is less worry and lots more fun. Your sweet baby sighs and squeaks have given way to boisterous coos, hums and laughter.


I'm often stopped in my tracks when I realize there will never be another time like this for you and me. Our future holds busy schedules, your desire to run and be a kid and hopefully one day, a little brother or sister. Someday you won't want me to squeeze you tight or smother you with kisses and that's why today I cherish every single minute I spend with you. The memories of the last six months will forever be held in my heart with my dreams for our future days together. I love you, baby girl. Happy six months!

Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. She's really such a gorgeous girl. Happy half birthday, Tory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS LITTLE GIRL AS MUCH AS I LOVE MY LITTLE GIRL :) I LOVE HOW T-BEAN DOESNT SUCK HER THUMB...NO NO...SHE GOES FOR THE BIG TOE! WHAT A DOLL! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete