Monday, April 16, 2012

Finding Mary Poppins ... Again

We're on the hunt for a new nanny ... again. It feels like I just completed this search and I did only four months ago. Last week, our nanny put in her notice as she's accepted a full-time job with a previous employer. To say I'm bummed is an understatement. I really felt like we hit the nanny jackpot and found someone who Tory absolutely loves. She was a perfect fit for our family; so easy to work with, respectful, came from a good family ... the list goes on. I can't blame her for taking a new position but I am also overwhelmed with the thought of finding someone new to fill her shoes.

Last weekend, Andi and I discussed whether to enroll Tory in a Montessori child care center a few blocks away from our house or go the nanny route again. There are pros and cons to both; I like the idea of Tory being in a more socialized situation at a school but realize she's a few months shy of really being able to capitalize on that aspect. However, I know I'll want our second baby to be at home for the first months of its life and the real cost-savings of a nanny are realized when there's more than one child under her care. (Right now, we pay our nanny just as much as we would in a child care center but that wouldn't be the case with two kids. We could easily get away with paying a nanny half the cost of what a child care center would cost for two kids). So, we decided the nanny route is better for our family and decided to post the job again.

Since posting the position online last Thursday, I'd had over 30 applicants. A few of those were college students looking for summer-only work and a handful were nannies who wanted to bring their own children to work with them (which is not something we're interested in allowing), but there were also a few candidates who seem promising. Andi's pretty even-keel about the whole thing and keeps reminding me there are plenty of quality nannies out there, we just need to find the right person for us. Realistically, I know he's right but I also won't be able to relax until we have that perfect someone.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck in the search...what a bummer that you are having to do this again. I'm sure you will find someone great.

    If you decide to reconsider schools, I noticed there are Primrose locations (many, in fact) in your area. That is where we are taking Cruzer and LOVE the facility, teachers and everything about it. Just in case you needed the info... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Heather ... I am sure you will find someone wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck Heather! I know it's stressful but I know you will find a good one!

    ReplyDelete