Thursday, April 26, 2012

Week In The Life 2012: Wednesday

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 25
Working Mom Day

3:32am
Tory cries from her crib. I sleepily crawl out of bed in route to the kitchen, warm up a bottle and walk back to her nursery to feed her. This morning I don't even wait for Andi to get up .. and he doesn't. Before he left on a business trip last week we'd made an agreement to split the late-nights now that Tory drinks formula and the mama doesn't have to be the one feeding her. Somewhere on that business trip he lost memory of that conversation because since he's been back, he hasn't gotten up with her once. Oh well, I feed her and crawl back in bed 20 minutes later.

5:40am
The alarm sounds and I hit snooze.

5:45am
The alarm sounds and I hit snooze again. (Sound like deja vu from yesterday morning)? As I close my eyes I remember the dry shampoo I bought at the salon a few weeks ago. I haven't tried it out yet! I decide today is a perfect opportunity to test out my new hair product. I close my eyes for 15 more minutes of sleep. (So much for my new goal of showering before work ... )

6:00am
Alright, I have to get up now. I get dressed, do my hair and make-up and snap this self-portrait before I leave for work.

6:30am
The nanny arrives and I her the run-down on Tory's eating and sleeping schedule. Today I make coffee in the Keurig - Starbucks Blonde - to take along on my commute into work.

7:01am
I pull into the parking lot at work and pray for an open spot. Yes, I got one! Today's going to be a good day.

7:10am
Once at my desk, I finish typing my Tuesday blog post, check my email, Facebook, Twitter, etc., then check my to-do list to see what I'm working on today. I start by revising a few marketing materials for our graphic designer.


More working at my desk for the next few hours. This morning's not very exciting.

12:30pm
My co-workers and I break for lunch and walk to Subway down the hall. We decide the line's too long to wait and opt for the food court in another building instead. Today I ate a Portobello Florentine Sandwich with homemade potato chips and a Diet Coke. Forgot my camera in the office so I didn't get a pic.

1:15pm
Back at my desk ... more working. I finished analyzing the survey from yesterday and typing all the data into our year-over-year tracking spreadsheet. This seriously took me all afternoon. I wanted to poke my eyeballs out by the end. GAH.

3:30pm
About a half-hour earlier, my computer starts acting goofy and I can't email out the survey results my boss has been pressuring me to provide. GAH! I restart my computer a dozen times and finally call our IT guy who says it's some sort of computer patch the system is trying to run. "Go have a coffee and come back in 20 minutes," he said. No thank you, I decide. I'm calling it a day.

4:00pm
I pull into the drive-way and avoid rush-hour by leaving just a few minutes before my normal time. I love those days. The sun is shining and I'm ready to play with my baby girl.

4:30pm
After I get today's recap from the nanny, I load Tory up in the stroller and we head outside for a walk along the neighborhood path.



Baby shoes ... I love it!


5:00pm
Back at home, I lug the activity center out to the front porch and we sit outside and play for a few minutes. Tory's not having it though and so our front porch adventure is short-lived.


5:15pm
Tory's fine dinner tonight is butternut squash and apricots. She was a little pistol at dinner tonight! She ate well, but also wiped half of it in her hair and demanded her own spoon to "help" feed herself. Oh, boy ...


5:30pm
Our second nanny interview of the week arrives. I quickly scope her car out as she pulls up to our house (has to have a reliable car, you know!) and then greet her at the door. I instantly like her bubbly personality and she pitches right in to help me with Tory while I clean up her dinner mess. Nice!

Andi comes home from work and we interview the nanny. We liked her.  We have one more interview on Saturday morning and then we'll decide on a candidate. Having two really good people to choose from so far makes me feel much more comforted about finding someone new.

6:00pm
The nanny candidate leaves and Andi asks to go for a quick walk. Tory and I have already been, I say, but we'd be happy to take another spin around the neighborhood. As Andi buckles on the Baby Bjorn, Tory kicks her legs and squeals with excitement. There's something about daddies and daughters - she just can't get enough of him these days.




Back at home, Andi puts a sweat band on Tory's head. The letters stand for Just F'ing Rage. Her face while wearing this thing was hilarious. We were dying laughing!


6:30pm
I pose Tory in the chair for her weekly "how much did I grow" photo session with the zebraffe (zebra? giraffe? we're not sure what it is).


6:40pm
Pajamas, books and bedtime. I make a bottle for Tory while Andi starts on dinner.

7:00pm
Holy crap, Tory is NOT having bedtime tonight. I'm STILL working on getting her to sleep when the tree guy comes to the house to give Andi an estimate on a rotten tree in our backyard. The two of them stand outside on the drive-way (next to Tory's window) and talk LOUDLY for what feels like forever.

7:30pm
Tory's still fighting me on bedtime. I'm trying all my tricks and nothing's working. She's so tired but just won't give up. And the loud voices outside her bedroom window definitely aren't helping. I finally pull out the bitchy wife card and walk outside to tell "Andi" to keep it down. Ok, it's not really Andi talking loudly, it's the tree dude. OMG SHUT UP!

8:10pm
Tory's finally asleep. Man, that was a lot of work. Meanwhile, Andi ate his dinner while my plate sat all alone and got cold. I tell him he has to clean up in payback for me having to deal with Tory and her bedtime antics tonight. He agrees.

We fire up another episode of Gossip Girl on Netflix. I eat my re-heated dinner of salad, a pork chop and broccoli.


I ask Andi to please get me a chocolate chip cookie because he OWES ME for tonight. The power of bedtime ... he does it.

8:50pm
We clean up dinner (I helped a little bit but Andi did the dishes - good work, honey!) and head to bed.

9:20pm
Andi turns on a new How I Met Your Mother episode from iTunes but falls asleep instantly instead. I read a few blogs and check Facebook.

10:00pm
Light's out.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, the baby shoes are cute, but I like YOURS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair is so cute!

    I hate it when it takes FOREVER to put sleepy children to sleep. It is such a time suck and you don't even know it's happened until it's waaaaaay past that.

    And, Gossip Girl is on Netflix? Now I know what I'm doing tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These posts make me so sentimental. For things like... Good meals. Talking with my husband. When handing over the baby meant you actually had time to yourself (not just time with the other child(s) ). By the way has Andi learned/been warned yet that the bjorne puts baby in ball-kicking range? He will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the day by day updates! My how our lives have changed!

    ReplyDelete