Thursday, April 5, 2012

Hair Remorse

OK, I think I made a BIG MISTAKE when I cut my hair last Saturday. While I don't particularly hate my new hair, it's obvious to me that everyone else does. I know this because people are ignoring the fact I got my hair cut and the change to my entire appearance is blatantly obvious. Hear me out on this one ...

You know when you get a slight trim in length and a girl at work always makes a comment about it? (Every office has one of these girls, by the way, so I know you know what I'm talking about). Office girl notices the slightest change in appearance on every single person and she has said nothing to me about my new bangs this week. NOTHING. This one very non-scientific test confirms it: my new haircut look horrible on me. GAH.

I've always had a very straight, simple hair style for as long as I can remember. It was a big deal when I chopped my long locks into a short bob a few years ago, and people who were used to seeing me everyday (co-workers, family, friends) commented about the change as you'd expect them to. There were a few guys around the office back then who made the typical "ah, you cut your long hair" comments to me but I expected a few of those. Most guys seem to mourn the loss of long hair when a woman cuts hers short. Typical. But for no one to say ANYTHING about this drastic hairstyle change? I feel embarrassed and very self-conscious.

There was one male co-worker who actually did say something to me about it yesterday. As he walked into the room where I was standing, he stopped in his tracks, smirked and shook his head sideways in disapproval. KNIFE TO THE GUT. I won't lie, it really hurt my feelings. It's not that I really care what this person thinks about my hair or even think he has a leg to stand on in his own style, but I was still offended. It really hurt my feelings and I couldn't shake the funk all afternoon.

Andi came home from his week-long business trip last night. My own husband didn't say anything to me about my hair for two hours. He never gave it a second look (which only made me feel worse about all of this) until finally out of the blue he said, "I can't decide if I like your new haircut. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't." Well, at least he's honest.

What can I do about it now? Nothing. I have bangs. They may or may not look like crap on my face. The fact of the matter is, I'm stuck with them now. I write this confession of feelings to the Internet not for comforting back rubs which tell me it's not really that bad or it'll grow back out eventually. I just feel like dog poop about myself (worse that I did last week BEFORE THE HAIRCUT that was suppose to fix the bad feelings about myself!) and I just needed somewhere to say it. There, I said it.

12 comments:

  1. I got my hair colored a few weeks ago and it was very blond! My very honest husband looked at me and said I don't think I like it. He has always been a fan of blond hair, but told me it didn't look good on me! I too was mortified - could I just put on a hat to cover it up - probably not! I did get a little bit of dark put into it but it is still very light. As the weeks have gone by it is growing on me - and I just avoid looking in a mirror!! HA HA!

    It may just take some getting used to!

    I really do think your hair looks great : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Heather...your blog makes me sad that your feelings have been hurt! When I cut my hair (11 inches) a few years back it was HUGE to me. It took some time for me (and others) to get use to. If I even mention getting my hair short again Henry always says something like "You really want to do that again??" So I take it he didn't really like it!

    I love your hair short and the bangs are super cute - I mean look at all the celebs these days. All you see are bangs!

    If I were there I'd give you a big hug and demand you go out and grab a glass of wine with me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually think your bangs look great. BUT, I totally understand how you feel. Whenver I get a haircut I ask for side swept bangs...and I ALWAYS regret it afterwards, lol! You'd think I would have learned my lesson by now. They just bug me and require more maintenance than I put into my hair. So I use little clippy things and just clip them back off my face. Give it a try, it actually makes for a cute little hairstyle too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness people suck. I can't believe that guy did that.

    I think the bangs look great on you, your face shape is PERFECT for bangs, seriously.

    1. I think men as a whole usually don't prefer bangs on women. And yeah, they seem to also prefer long hair. I think it has to do with the whole "girl next door" thing and sex. Plain and simple.

    Women, and I included, usually think they're stylish, on trend, and a great way to mix it up when you want to do something different but not super drastic. That is exactly how I feel about your new do!

    If you really don't like them, they'll grow out in no time. Promise. They will definitely get to the point of "longish side-swept bangs" really quickly if you don't see a hairdresser every few weeks. :)

    Sorry your feelings got hurt, it DOES suck to have people not acknowledge something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. I guess I was going to make multiple numbered points, but forgot midway through my rambling. Thus the "1." Oh well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the bangs!

    And as for the male coworker...ugh. I am sorry. Not cool.

    Hope you feel like the hot mama that you are very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, Heather Heather Heather! Per usual, I have many thoughts. And I must share.

    #1 - Fuck 'em. You know why? You're a risk taker. Always have been. I've seen photos of you hanging from zip lines or whatever the hell those are, you've traveled to buttswamp, and you even take your baby on planes. You get out there. This is your brand - taking risks. Be proud.

    #2 - I agree. When people love our hair updates they get vocal. When there's silence, it makes us paranoid. But I've also learned that sometimes people don't comment for several weeks... who knows why.

    #3 - Give 'em time to grow. You've got the short bangs right now (which I still think are cute). Apparently there's some kind of frenzy for the "Michelle leigh" or some Glee chick's bangs. The kind that hang just into your eyes. Let your bangs get to that point, put on some mascara, take a smoldering photo, put it on Facebook, and people will notice. You'll love it, too.

    #4 - A few months before I had Walter I trimmed my bangs. Yeah, I looked like this: http://www.beertripper.com/startrek_images/races/Vulcan_Female_Big.jpg It was horrid. But at least I had the third trimester excuse. I feel your pain that you're having second thoughts.

    So what is the value of my contribution? Don't know. Mostly: bangs grow. You've got stunning facial structure and in a few weeks you'll be like this: http://news.instyle.com/2012/02/27/katie-holmes-bangs/

    Ta-da. You risk-taker, you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh Heather don't worry what people think, I honestly think your new style is super cute on you. I once got my hair cute and husband told me I look like the town liabrian... it has stuck with me now for years. It really does look cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. whoops guess I don't know how to spell either... Librarian is what I meant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather - I think you're looking at this ALL wrong. Perhaps the reason no one is saying anything is simply because it looks SO very natural on you and the style is perfect that people don't realize that you changed anything -- because it's like you were born to have bangs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No! I am just catching up (again) and I love them! They are the perfect solution to the crazy short hairs after the great post-baby shedding. That guy at work needs kicked in the shin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SISTER, YOUR HAIR (BANGS) LOOK AWESOME! YOU SHOULD FEEL SO GOOD THAT YOU CAN ACTUALLY PULL THEM OFF.. MOST PEOPLE TRY BUT CANT... THEY BRING OUT YOUR EYES AND THAT IS A GOOD THING! YOU LOOK AMAZING AND YOUR BANGS ONLY COMPLIMENT THAT FACT! TAKE IT FROM ME..SOMEONE WHO STUDIED HAIR FOR 7 YEARS.. YOU LOOK FAB-U-LOUS!

    ReplyDelete