Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tory's First Dentist Visit

Tory went to the dentist this morning for her first teeth cleaning. It went really well! I was so proud of my big girl. I prepped Tory about what to expect beforehand, and she seemed confident walking into the appointment. Boy, was I nervous though! I wasn't sure how she'd react in an unfamiliar situation with the big dentist's chair, instruments and cords.

The hygienist was very sweet with Tory and allowed her to set right next to me in a chair while I first had my teeth cleaned. She showed Tory the instruments as she used them and called them by cute names like "Mr. Slurpie" (for the water suction thing). Tory wasn't nervous a bit and chatted along with the hygienist as she worked. She's at an age now where I'm 5% nervous every time she opens her mouth to speak in public situations because I never know what at-home information is about to come out. All was well though as she talked about her "little brofer Aden" and how he likes to get into things at home, like the dog food and water bowls.

When it was time for Tory's check-up, she climbed into the dental chair and laid back like she'd been there a million times. The hygienist let Tory wear ladybug sunglasses and made a big deal about counting all the teeth in her mouth. Because Tory was cooperating so well, the hygienist proceeded to clean and polish all 20 of her adorable little baby teeth while Tory laid there calm as a cucumber!



We visited the dentist during my four hours of weekly babysitter time, so I decided to keep Tory for the remainder of the morning and make a fun mommy/daughter day out of it. I can count on one hand the number of times Tory and I have been alone together since Aden was born, so it was nice to spend some quality time with one another. Tory requested to eat lunch at Chick-fil-A and because I'm the type of mother who feeds her child fast-food minutes after visiting the dentist, I obliged. I was amazed how simple everyday processes like loading in/out the car and eating in a restaurant were with only one child who's able to walk and feed herself. Easy peasy! It gives me hope for a future day when everyday tasks won't be so exhausting.


After lunch, Tory played in the jungle-gym area at Chick-fil-A for a bit and then we headed over to Color Me Mine! for a mother/daughter painting session. Tory and I love to do art projects, so I thought this would be something fun for us to do together. We selected a heart-shaped plate to paint and decorated it with pinks and purples - Tory's favorites, duh!


My Tory Girl ... growing up so big! What a fun morning together (even if it did involve going to the dentist).

6 comments:

  1. Mother daughter dates are the best :) Glad she did well at the dentist. I find that my kids often surprise me in situations like that - I fear the worst and then they rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Tory looks like a real trooper. That is really the way to go. Dental visits are something that would occur in various permutations throughout one's life, so it's best to face it down at the most formative time in a person's life, in order to set a nice precedent for the betterment of oral health. Anyway, thanks for sharing that! All the best to the whole family!

    Sharon Woods @ Falls Park Dentistry

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Tory seems to have handled her first trip to the dentist real well. Some people tend to be reticent when it comes to their views on dental treatments, only to have it all surface through resistance and aversion that takes a lifetime. Often, those views are because of the heavy sense of foreboding that the looming dental treatments could invoke, no thanks to how it is sometimes portrayed in the culture and the media. Anyway, I'm glad you've zoomed your child past that and set up a much more enlivening experience that one wouldn't hesitate to go through again. Thanks for sharing that! All the best!

    Eunice Greer @ Downtown Dental

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visits to the dentists do not have to be scary. In fact, they can be enjoyable. One mother who took her little girl to the dentist made sure to prepare her for the trip. When they arrived, the girl was not scared and all went well. Afterwards, it turned into a mother/daughter outing at Chick-Fil-A. Good quality time.

    Felipe Roberson @ Philly Dentist

    ReplyDelete