Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cause for concern?

If there's one area Andi and I differ, it's about going to the doctor.

I hate going. Actually, I despise it. And Andi? I swear he goes at the sign of the sniffles.

Thailand was the only time this difference has come to bite me in the ass. Day 7(ish) of our honeymoon, Andi came down with what can only be described as the worst flu/bacterial infection known to man. I shrieked when he mentioned the idea of going to a Thai doctor for antibiotics. After all, these are the same doctors who advertise general practice, boob jobs and transgender reassignment all in one place! My gut says, not a logical solution. While Andi laid in bed for the remainder of our honeymoon in absolute agony, I rolled my eyes and wished he wouldn't be so dramatic. Yeah, it turns out he really was deathly ill and should have seen a doctor. Or so the American doctor said 30 minutes after we arrived home. Easy to say that in hindsight ...

So, yes, I've been wrong before when it comes to letting the sickness ride.

And then there's this.

I told you how I had the flu this weekend. Body aches, headache and a killer side pain that just won't stop. Well, unless you count the times I've taken an absorbent number of Ibuprofen over the last 5 days ... and even I'm starting to think it's getting excessive. Today I do feel better overall, but I'm still a little dizzy and the side pain is still hanging on.

So I Googled "what is the cause of pain on my right side" and this is what the all mighty Internet said:

#1. Ouch! A sharp side pain can be a sign of a variety of medical conditions ranging from simple trapped gas to serious conditions requiring surgery such as appendicitis. Consult a doctor immediately if symptoms persist.

#2. Side pain that occurs on the right side can be a sign of appendicitis, particularly if it's associated with nausea, vomiting, and fever. Because appendicitis is a condition that requires surgery, time is of essence and you should be seen by a doctor immediately.

#3. Unique to women, sharp side pain can be the presence of an ectopic pregnancy. If you are pregnant, or think you might be, see a doctor immediately.

#4. Sharp side pain in a woman can also be caused by the presence of an ovarian cyst that ruptures. For this reason, always see your doctor if you have side pain with vaginal bleeding.

#5. Other conditions that can cause sharp side pain are the presence of a kidney stone. Chronic sharp side pains can also be caused by an undiagnosed colon cancer or inflammatory bowel disease. If this sounds like you, see a doctor immediately.

#6. Although sharp side pains can simply mean you need a dose of Gas-X, don't ever make this assumption. Sharp side pain that lasts for more than a few hours should always be evaluated by a doctor.

Source: www.ehow.com

Well, chalk one up for Andi. Looks like I'll be visiting the doctor on Friday. Let's just hope #1-6 doesn't happen this week while I'm traveling for work. Eeeek!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get to feeling better!! Not sure if this helps at all (or makes it worse!) - but when I had my kidney stone it was on the left side in the front and back. It was so bad that I had to make a quick dash to the ER (while we were in good ole Arkansas).

    ReplyDelete