Monday, July 12, 2010

Home Sick

In Nebraska this weekend, I had a lovely time with family and friends.

While there, I also caught a nice case of the flu which became increasingly worse throughout the weekend. Luckily, it wasn't a debilitating case. I had a bad case of body aches, a killer headache and sharp, stabbing pains in my right side. Nothing leaving my body from the mouth or uh, the other end. Which is a good thing since I spend 14 hours in the car this weekend; a bad thing because if I'm going to be sick, I at least want the kind where I lose a few pounds!

Anyway, I woke up this morning still feeling like crap. And after being on the go for, well, all summer I thought to myself "why not take a sick day?" It's something I think I've only done one other time in my nearly 4 years at my job. I always worry my boss will think I'm less of an over-achiever if I take a sick day (way to go first-born perfectionist personality!) I didn't care today. I felt horrible.

So I stayed home. Slept in. Took a bubble bath. Watched morning talk shows and afternoon soaps. Around 3pm, I started feeling better (thank goodness because I'm traveling the next three days!) and decided to do a few summer bucket list tasks that allowed me to stay in bed to complete.

I re-organized our file drawer and transferred important documents into the fire safe my parent's bought us for Christmas (nothing like being six months late on that one). Still felt good so I made a diaper cake for my cousin Jen's baby shower. I'm not quite finished with that one (still need to buy some ribbon) but I think it turned out pretty cute!

And I did a little work from my laptop too, so I wasn't a complete waste.

Tomorrow I travel to St. Joseph, Missouri for a three-day training about cooking hamburgers. Thank goodness I'm feeling better ...

1 comment:

  1. Poor Heather! Glad you are feeling better and OMG start taking more time off!!!! 2 days in 4 years????

    I had the flu (or something, I don't know) over the 4th and it was terrible. There is something about being sick when it's hot out that seems so very, very wrong. I was, however, able to get down to my driver's license weight, so there is that :)

    Enjoy your very intense hamburger training :)

    ReplyDelete