Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cancun or Crosslake?

I'm trying to decide what to do for my 30th birthday. It's less than a month away and surprisingly, I haven't found my usual birthday swagger yet. We went to Europe for Andi's 30th and he thinks we should do something big and spectacular for my birthday too. I'm not one to disagree but for some strange reason, cuddling up with my hubby at one of my favorite places in the world - the cabin - sounds pretty appealing. I'm also torn because there's that thing called "vacation days" that you usually need to take time off of work. And unfortunately, I'm a little shy in the vacation days department at work. Our trip to Europe and the mandatory week we had to take off between Christmas and New Year's has tapped me out. I suppose I could take the days unpaid but half the fun of vacation is laying on the beach and getting paid for it, right?

Andi suggests an all-inclusive lounge-fest at a resort in Cancun. It sounds heavenly, especially with the frigid temperatures of Minnesota baring down on us. But a quiet weekend trip to Crosslake sounds nice too. We would spend a day at the spa, get Rafferty's take-and-bake pizza and snuggle up by the fire doing nothing but hanging out together. Of course we could do something outdoorsy like go snowmobiling or snowshoeing, but if it's my birthday and I get to choose, I vote no way.

Lately, Nicaragua's moved to the top of Andi's vacation destinations so the other option would be to stay somewhere close to home in February and do Nicaragua in March over Spring Break. Working at a University, they always force us onto vacation the last day of SB anyway so at least I'd be using the mandatory vacation day for something fun. 

Looks like my hubby and I have some difficult decisions to make this weekend :)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a tough choice! I think laying on the beach soaking up the sun sounds great just about now : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a cozy cabin sounds wonderful for your situation. Lots of pampering sounds great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jessie...Crosslake is beautiful right now with the trees laden with snow and they glisten in the sunlight!! A day of pampering, your choice of fabulous places to eat and great shopping in Crosslake sounds like the perfect way to spend your 30th birthday..Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to vote for the Cancun myself...but it is your birthday so you get to do what Heather likes to do..you only turn 30 once.

    ReplyDelete