Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Nebraska Christmas

I took a little bloggy-blog vacation while we were in Nebraska last week. Sure, I could have easily popped open the laptop and wrote about all my surfing-the-couch adventures but I was too busy taking multiple naps and stuffing my face full of food.

We flew back to Nebraska to celebrate Christmas with my family last Tuesday. We decided to fly this year because last year we drove through the single worse holiday blizzard Nebraska has experienced in like a gazillion years. Of course, this year the weather was perfectly fine but as I told Andi, I'm sure it wouldn't have been if we choose to drive - that's just how it works. Flying is so slick too; the flight is 55 minutes and there's barely time to get a bag of peanuts and a beverage before you're already landing. Sure beats the 7 hour drive.

We spent most of Wednesday shopping around town with my dad. We decided to buy a bed for my parent's spare bedroom. They hadn't bought one since my brother moved out a few months ago and we've been sleeping on an air mattress there. I will now throw my husband under the bus when I say buying a mattress, box spring and frame was a small price to pay to get him to stop flapping his trap about his uncomfortable nights of sleep. We found a steal of a deal on a discontinued mattress at one of the local businesses in town. Plus the business is an advertising client of my sister's so I was sure to tell them I heard their ad on the radio (not true ... but I thought it might help her sell more next time she comes a'calling). It was nice to spend the day with my dad. I don't usually have the opportunity to spend time with just him, so I really enjoyed it.

Relaxing with my hubby

On Thursday, I finished wrapping Christmas presents for my family and lounged around the house. My sister, her boyfriend and my niece Brooke came over after work and my brother also drove down from Lincoln. We feasted on a nice rib eye dinner, then turned on the Christmas music and started opening presents. Brookie was so fun to watch as she opened her presents. Every present she opened she'd say, "I think it's a dress." Poor girl, she got lots of toys, a sweatsuit, pajamas and shoes ... but no dress. We probably could have saved a lot of money if that's all she wanted!

Brookie seems to like her Barbie car

 Ashley got the sewing machine she forgot she always wanted

Me and my Brookie girl - she's getting so big!

Brooklyn

Friday, we visited my great-grandma and delivered her Christmas present. Andi and I don't usually have time to go out there and visit while we're back in town so it was nice to be able to squeeze that in. Spending time at her house brings back instant childhood memories of playing in her upstairs bedrooms and bathroom. All my cousins and I would play hide and go seek amongst her many plants and dolls. Just makes me smile. Seems like yesterday.

Friday night we went to my best friend Ashley's parent's house to ring in the New Year. Luckily Ashley and Neal were back in our hometown at the same time and we had a fun time playing board games and catching up with her and her family. Andi and I were impressed with ourselves! We stayed out until 1:30am ... way past our usual 9:00pm bedtime. Party animals, we are.

Saturday (New Year's Day), we drove up to Lincoln to visit my cousin Jen and her new baby Lauren. I was really happy to have the opportunity to spend time with them as Jen and I are close and her little girl Lauren is growing up so fast! Jen had her decked out in pink tutu tights and a flower embroidered onesie. She's so cute it melts my heart.

The remainder of Saturday we hung around the house and babysat Brookie. She's a well-behaved girl but so active! I was exhausted by the end of the day.

And finally .... Sunday, we left for home. We ran out to Andi's parent's house when we got home to pickup Chloe. We ate lunch and hung out there for a while before coming home and relaxing the rest of the evening.

We had a whirlwind December, for sure. After our European vacation, we jumped right into Christmas in Minnesota followed by another in Nebraska. I'm a little relieved the holidays are over and we can finally get back to normal around here. I'm thankful for a wonderful holiday season with my family and friends and ready to plunge into 2011 with a fresh slate.

1 comment: