Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Oh yea, I'm honeymooning in Thailand ...

The wedding countdown continues = 9 days.

Somehow in all the wedding anticipation, I'm forgetting we're leaving for Thailand 2 days after the wedding. THAILAND - not like we're heading up to Duluth for the weekend. So, for you math whizzes out there, that's in 11 days and I haven't even thought about what I'm bringing! I've never been so unprepared for a trip!

Andi's usually our vacation planner so I never really worry about it (just show up with my backpack and ask where my boarding pass is). But since we're not booking any reservations for this trip, we haven't really talked about it much. Crossing my fingers that he knows where we're going!

If you're like me, you might not be quite sure where Thailand is on a map (good ole' American education, right)? I know, sad. Anyway, I included a map below so you can visualize where we'll be our 2 week honeymoon: Here's our tentative schedule:

Day 1 - Saturday, Aug 2
Depart Mpls for Bangkok, Thailand (connecting through Toyko)
Total flight time = 28 hours (gasp)!
*we're staying in a hotel in Bangkok that night basically to sleep - we arrive into town at midnight and want to leave again the following AM

Bangkok is 12 hours ahead of Minnesota, by the way. So we basically lose a day in flight. As I write this, for example, it's Wednesday @ 9PM in Minnesota and Thurday @ 9AM in Bangkok.
Day 2
Depart Bangkok early AM for Karbi
*This is a island town in Southern Thailand - beautiful beaches, crystal blue waters (aka: paradise). The plan is to recoup here from jet lag / wedding craziness by relaxing on the beach, snorkeling and getting daily Thai massages on the beach for $10 a session!!

Karbi


Day 4??
Depart Krabi for Phuket
*Another island hot spot not far from Krabi in Southern Thailand. More beautiful beaches and waters. Fun fact: This is where Hollywood movies The Beach and James Bond: The Man with the Golden Gun were filmed among many others

Phuket

Day 7??
Flight North to Chiang Mai
*Chiang Mai is in Northern Thailand. This is a mountainous city with over 500 Buddist temples in the area. Chiang Mai has night bazaars where you can buy foods and crafts down the main streets, tons of massage parlors and shops, as well as small villages in nearby hillside towns.

The most famous temple in Chiang Mai - Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep

Day 11???
Depart Chiang Mai area for Bangkok
*we'll end our trip in Bangkok where we'll visit the 22nd largest city in the world (over 8 million people call Bangkok home)! I really want to visit the historic temples here and Bangkok's famous "floating markets" .... they're basically farmer's markets - but on boats down the main river

Floating Market


Day 14
Depart Bangkok for Minneapolis (28 hours on an airplane again ... ). When we arrive in Minneapolis it'll be Noon on Saturday, Aug 15. We'll have 1 day to recoup before heading back to the real world ...

Our Thailand trip is going to knock our socks off! We've never expereienced anything like this before. I'm mostly excited to be across the world with my new husband - nothing greater than exploring the world together :)

No comments:

Post a Comment