Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

Because we have immediate family in both Minnesota and Nebraska, Andi and I decided early on we would alternate holidays with each side of the family. The reason being, quite honestly, piece of mind. No one's feelings are hurt when there's a system in place and everyone's treated fairly. For example:

Easter in NE
Thanksgiving in MN
Christmas in NE

... and then switch the following year.

I like the way we do things. Each side of our family honors unique traditions, celebrates with different foods and both are special in their own way. This Thanksgiving was suppose to be our turn to celebrate in Nebraska, but unfortunately the Gopher football team decided to schedule a game on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We could have gone back, but 7 hours each way is a lot of driving in 2 days (not to mention the weather - you never know what it's going to do). Since I was required to work the game, we changed our holiday rotation this year and went back to Nebraska for Easter. We'll be celebrating both Thanksgiving and Christmas with Andi's side of the family this year. It's a bummer we've missed Thanksgiving with my side two years in a row now, but we've started a fun, new tradition with Andi's mom (Janie) and sister (Lindsay) --- cooking the meal together Thanksgiving morning.

On Thanksgiving Thursday, Lindsay picked me up bright and early and we met Janie, aunts Barb and Judy and cousin Kiera at Grandma Marion's house. I decided to bring mashed potatoes and corny macaroni (my piece of Nebraska Thanksgiving, even in Minnesota) and I had prepared those beforehand.

Thanksgiving Mums

In my family, you always bring the hostess(es) a gift. It doesn't have to be much, but a thank you to show how much you appreciate them having you over. I've carried on this tradition with our Minnesota family. (Andi thinks I'm crazy for doing this, by the way. The night before, I politely insisted he write a Thanksgiving message in each card for his parents and grandma and this is what he wrote in his mom's "Aren't you thankful I married someone that gives gifts for every holiday. Love Andi") Ha! Very funny Husband. Although Janie found it pretty funny, so I guess Andi knows his mom. I must mention my tradition has spread on as Janie brought Thankgiving hostess gifts for Lindsay, Kiera and I. She gave me pretty Christmas appetizer plates, a candle and some holiday napkins. I can't wait to use them in December!

Anyway, I'm getting off track....
So we all began to prepare Thanksgiving at Grandma Marion's house. My mom's always blown away that I actually cook the meal (shocking, I do!). We got the turkey in the oven (Lindsay was nominated to pull the neck out of the bird for the second year in a row. Yes!). We made homemade stuffing, green bean casserole, gravy and sweet potatoes.

Lindsay and I elbow deep in homemade stuffing

 Lindsay and Kiera cleaning the turkey

Andi stopped by Walgreens that morning before coming over to his grandma's. He brought me some reindeer slippers because he said he knows his wife's feet always get cold. What a sweetie! So these are the slippers I sported all day. Fashionable, huh.

My cute little Reindeer slippers - thanks Husband!

I made a dried beef cheese ball to snack on while we cooked the meal. I'd never made this recipe before, but it's a favorite of my mom's and everyone in Andi's family liked it too. I broke Keebler Bistro crackers in half and added them to the back half of the cheese ball as the turkey's "tail" - turned out really cute.

Thanksgiving cheese ball

Here's a group shot of the cooks:

(From L to R: Janie, Barb, Grandma Marion, Kiera, me, Judy, Lindsay)

(I always laugh when I compare myself to Andi's family in photos. Can you tell which one of us is family-by-marriage? All blonde-haired Swedish ladies and me, one brown-haired German girl). Good thing they made me feel all warm and welcome!

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving in Minnesota this year. Rumor is, Gopher football has 3 football games in November 2011 and another game over Thanksgiving weekend in 2011 and 2012 so it sounds like we may be making some exceptions to our perfect little holiday schedule. Although, who knows! Maybe my Nebraska family will make a trip to our house in Minnesota next year ...

No comments:

Post a Comment