Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Home Owners - Again!

We did it! Today, we settled on an offer for the new "suburb" house. Inspection is this Friday. We close July 15. And if you're keeping track, baby is due August 22. Just a few things going on here, just a few.

Andi's traveling for work this week, so it's been difficult to touch base regarding the housing situation. He sent me a few text messages this morning saying he was 90% sure the deal would go through. The final counter-offer was proposed by the seller and was $29K less than the listing price but $10K over our final "we don't want to pay more than this price" amount. In the end, Andi and I decided the extra $10K wouldn't break the bank and because the house is in such good shape (move-in ready; no major projects need to be completed) we would be able to swing a higher price.

Around Noon today, I received a calendar update from Andi titled "close on house." I phoned him, but of course he didn't answer as he's in the middle of a photo shoot, so I waited for what seemed like forever for him to call me back. About an hour later he did, and I received confirmation we'd come to an agreement. WE BOUGHT THE SUBURB HOUSE!

A mini-panic attack about packing and moving and having a baby all at the same time immediately set in. There's so much to do, I don't even know where to start. But the more I thought about it, I realized it's really not the end of the world if everything doesn't get done right away. My goal is to have a completed nursery, have a place for us to sleep (even if the master bedroom isn't decorated) and a functional kitchen by the time the baby arrives. Everything else will come with time.

Fortunately, we do not have the stress of selling our current house. We'll need to market it for rent and find a quality tenant, but it shouldn't be too much trouble. We're planning to begin renting our current house on August 1, which perfectly coincides with the beginning of the school year. We live very close to several private colleges so finding a renter at that time of year is not usually an issue.

July 15. That's 24 days away. There's a lot to do before then.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats Heather and Andi!! Sounds EXACTLY like us at the same time last year!! Everything will fall into place, just keep those legs crossed so that Tory doesn't come too early :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new house - how exciting! Post some pics - I would love to see the interior...look at you guys becoming all suburban!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting!!! I can't wait to see more pictures of the new place.

    I really wish we lived closer so I could help you pack : )

    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! It sounds like you have a solid, realistic plan for moving - how exciting to bring your new baby home to a new house!

    ReplyDelete