Tuesday, June 21, 2011

House Update

The short of it: we're still negotiating.

And the long? Well ....

Friday afternoon, while we were relaxing at my parent's house, Andi was bouncing on and off the phone with our realtor. We made an offer on Thursday on a new "suburb" house which is just minutes away from Andi's office on the West side of town. Ball in their court. They countered. We laughed. We countered back $5K more than our previous offer. They countered back $10K less than their previous offer. From the looks of it, we were going to be there ALL DANG DAY.

Then my resourceful, charming and gutsy husband remembered something he'd noticed the very first time we looked at the "suburb" house. A Mastercraft dealership uniform. Husband happens to have a friend who works at said Mastercraft dealership in the Cities. He randomly called his friend and asked "hey, do you happen to know a dude who works at the dealership who is selling a "suburb" house?" And because this is just how things work in my husband's life, his friend says "why yes, yes, I do." Andi jots down the cell phone number for Suburb House Seller and voila, he randomly phones the seller and introduces himself. Seriously, this husband of mine never ceases to amaze me!

After a few phone calls back and forth, and explanations of the situations of both people, the seller and Andi agree to cut to the chase and find a compromising offer. With all the yo-yo'ing back and forth out of the way, the seller and Andi agree to an option they think will work. The seller says he wants to check back in with his realtor and get back to us.

We wait.

There's a call from our realtor, who's slightly shocked (but not surprised) Andi's been doing all this side work. Andi and our realtor discuss the latest proposal.

We wait some more.

No word from the seller's realtor. Likely, we're waiting until Monday for word.

---

On Monday, Andi called me from work to tell me the situation. Suburb House Seller countered back with an offer $8K higher than the last proposed. Dang. The ball's in our court now. Andi and I discussed the offer (What's $8K more a month, like $30? It's not like that'll break us). Andi says it's the principle. Apparently, he doesn't want to be the one to give in because we said we wouldn't agree to higher than our final offer made this weekend. He tells me he'll keep working on it and keep me posted.

So we're waiting.

---

I seriously feel like I'm walking on a tight rope. Part of me is still very excited about this house. I can SEE us living there. It's beautiful and spacious and will be a great place to welcome our daughter. On the other hand, I'm NERVOUS. We have a baby arriving in 9 weeks or less. I'm buying my first house at 8 months pregnant. Moving is stressful and it's a lot of hard work. I'm not sure I can do this all at the same time.

So we wait. It's either READY, GO! or PHEW! We'll see what happens tomorrow ....

No comments:

Post a Comment