Thursday, June 9, 2011

Leafy Surprise

I came home yesterday after traveling for work this week and found an unusual surprise in our front yard: a new tree.



There were 100 degree record temperatures in the Twin Cities the last few days and my flowers and grass were scorched. Watering was much needed. And as I dragged the hose and sprinkler to the boulevard I literally stopped in my tracks when I saw this baby oak tree planted on our boulevard.

WHAT THE HECK?

I walked back inside and asked Andi who had planted a tree in our yard. He came outside just as dumbfounded as I was; he hadn't even noticed it.

Maybe it was our renters? But why would they just take it upon themselves to plant a tree in our yard?

We concluded it must've been the city as we noticed two other baby trees planted alongside our street. After talking with a few people at work, I guess the city owns the boulevard area of our yard. I never knew that. So then, I wonder why I'm the one planting sod there, mowing it and watering it daily?

I suppose it's a good thing the city is investing in our neighborhood by planting more trees in our area. I only wish they would have planted it in a better spot in the yard (or better yet, in the neighbor's yard). And I would have appreciated a note from the city letting us know to expect it.

It is what it is; we're the proud new owners of a new tree. Lucky us.

4 comments:

  1. I WISH our city would do that! I wonder if they will take care of it too? I LOVE reading your baby blog posts - my best friend is exactly as far along as you are so I read your posts and think of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even in neighborhoods they own the first few feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your lovely sisterJune 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM

    Trees are fabulous things, fine and dandy and all that... But what happens when that baby tree grows and becomes your next blind spot at the end of your driveway! Haha...love, your sister...however,I'm a temporary huge tree hater after I had to call the plumbers for the 2nd time in a week.. to clean out the tree roots from my sewer drain! :)

    ReplyDelete