Sunday, June 26, 2011

Inspection

Friday night after work, Andi and I met at the new house to meet with the inspector. I was interested in walking through the house with someone who's got an eye for detail. When you're on a house hunting tour with the realtor, it's hard to notice (or remember) everything about a place. This gave us a good chance to review every nook and cranny, take some photos and make plans. Thankfully we still love the place, but I was a little disheartened to walk through and be pointed to every flaw.

The inspector sent us his list of recommendations later that evening and I felt completely overwhelmed again with the number of things needing attention. Nothing was a major fix, but there's always little things that can be improved. We submitted our list to the sellers and the negotiating began - AGAIN. Back and forth all weekend with counter-offers on what we wanted them to fix and what they'd agree to. I'll tell you, I'm so sick of negotiating and I'm not even the one doing all the work! Andi's been dealing with all the realtors and seller directly.

Late tonight, we finally came to an agreement for both parties. I'm relieved. Relived to be over and done with it. All that's left is the final walk-through and closing on July 15.

ps... it should be said to all those out there who think buying a house at 8 months pregnant sounds like a fun idea. It's not. It's literally driving me to drink. Well, if I wasn't pregnant that is ....

The brightest spot is being married to the ultimate task master. Andi's taken care of all the negotiations, and even arranged to having movers come into our current house the day after closing, pack everything up and move it to the new house. What's more, he's hired a cleaning crew to deep-clean the new house as soon as we close on July 15. The cleaners are also cleaning our current house before new renters move in in August. And did I mention he's hired painters to paint the new nursery and our new master bedroom? All of this is a huge relief so I won't have to do as much of the work the last few weeks before the baby's born. If there's ever a time to pay money for these things, I think this is it. I'm pretty sure he's referred to me as the crazy pregnant lady a few times to the seller (part of his negotiation tactics, maybe). But at this point, I don't even care. Blame it all on me, the hormonal one, if that's what it takes to get us into a new house and over all the stress!

No comments:

Post a Comment