Thursday, October 6, 2011

1st Date Night WO Baby

This week, Andi and I went on our first date night since the baby. A very big step in being a parent, I think. I left my baby for two whole hours and didn't bat an eye as I walked out the door. Granted, I left her in the very capable hands of her grandparents ... BUT STILL. Andi and I are in the belief it is important for our marriage to spend time together - just us two - every so often. And further, try not to talk nonstop about our child (this one was hard to do, but I tried).

Believe it or not, I was a little "first date" nervous we wouldn't have anything to talk about. This feeling with the man I've been dating for the last six years. I still feel a little strange about being a SAHM these last few weeks - I worry I will be less interesting to my husband who's stimulated by so many smarty-pants work people and exciting events and clients during his day.

I have no pictures to share of our lovely date night because frankly, we looked pretty disheveled. I didn't bother to re-apply make-up or change my clothes from Tory's doctor's appointment earlier in the day and Andi was wearing his typical workday wear. But it doesn't matter. Quality time was the point and we got it.

We decided to go to dinner (since we rarely eat dinner together anymore - one of us is usually shoving food in our mouth while the other rocks a baby to sleep) and without much of a plan, opted for a place with a patio since it's SO NICE outside this week. Cowboy Jacks near our house it was. Other restaurant suggestions were Mexican or sushi or even Travail (a fancy restaurant which is suppose to have spectacular food) and about five minutes into CJ we realized any of those restaurant choices would've been better than this one. The patio was full of smokers and loud, drunk men discussing hunting with swear words free-flowing all over the place. Andi asked to move us to a table inside where the restaurant was calling BINGO (seating arrangements not much better). Our food was horrible and we only won $6 from the Pickle cards (aka: pull tabs for you Minnesotans) Andi bought for us. It was the first time we missed living in St. Paul since moving to the 'burbs and the plethora of awesome restaurants around there.

Then Andi redeemed our little date night. He pulled into Freeziac, a new frozen yogurt place by our house. After customizing our frozen yogurt dishes, Andi took me to Target for a little retail therapy sans kiddo. It was heavenly. As stupid as it sounds, I think that's the thing I miss most after having Tory. Not the movies; not even sleep. Leisurely trips to Target. Every time I've gone there with the baby she cries two minutes into our trip. I end up high-tailing it out of the store, sometimes abandoning my cart without making a purchase. For date night, Andi and I walked around the entire store, talked and laughed. It was perfect.

And to think I was nervous? Oh, silly me.

My husband just GETS ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment