Sunday, October 16, 2011

Working Mama

When I was a little kid, I told my parents I was leaving their small town the first chance I got and never looking back. I had big dreams to flee to New York and become a television broadcaster. I imagined having it all; a uber successful career, a handsome husband and a few kiddos too. Because I always knew I wanted to be a mom; I just never imagined trading in one dream for another.

It's funny how we grow up and our dreams evolve into something completely new. What I once thought was the picture perfect life isn't even close to the life I lead today. It's a million times better than I could've imagined it to be. To say I'm blessed is an understatement.

------

As I got older (and realized only Diane Sawyer-types make big time bucks as a tv journalist), I knew being a mother would be the single most important thing I'd do in my life. And the minute I became pregnant I also knew I didn't want to miss a minute of it. From poopy diapers and first steps to PTA meetings; the desire to become a stay-at-home mom came over me. That dream, though, didn't come without a few hesitations. I often worried I wouldn't be as interesting to my husband if I'm not the career woman he married. I stressed about losing my edge in the marketing world if I ever decided to get back into it or worse, losing who I am as Heather The Person to someone named Heather The Mom.

Over the last few months, Andi and I have muled over this topic a gazillion times. Could we continue to live our life on only one income? And do we really want to? How would we manage health care? What would happen if something goes South with Andi's business and we find ourselves without any income at all?

As we toured daycare centers and other childcare possibilities, we determined a work / life balance was key for me in going forward. With the insane amount of pressure, travel and general work load of Andi's business, it's imperative one parent be available to keep our home life afloat. So, on Friday I made an appointment with my boss to discuss my options. I explained my reasoning and asked if she'd be willing to restructure my position to part-time to better accommodate my new family's needs. And to my relief, she was so supportive! She agreed to alter my position to 3 days a week so I can still maintain my career while assuming the role of a stay-at-home (sometimes) mom. I'm still in shock; I can hardly believe how fortunate I am to enjoy the best of both worlds.

Suddenly, I'm excited to return to work and dive back into tasks that stimulate my brain. And even more, I'm thankful for the opportunity to watch Tory grow up before my very eyes. I can't think of a better arrangement for our family and I'm grateful for my husband who's willing to work a little harder so I can live out this dream of mine.

Pinch me. Life just can't get any better.

5 comments:

  1. That is such great news!! They would do anything not to lose you there. So glad you get a happy balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, that's amazing that you are able to work it out both on the family and finance end. I'm insanely jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so amazing! 3 days a week would be my ideal, and is something I strive to do one day. It would be a struggle with my current employer and would mean we'd lose benefits from me but we could probably swing it. It's not something that would probably happen in the super near future, but maybe someday! If nothing else, I'd like to reduce my hours when my kiddos go to school so that I can always be home when they are and we won't need any childcare anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting Heather! It will be great for you to spend more time with Tory but yet be able to get out of the house for work a couple days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you!!! What a gift! I work three days a week too (started full time) and due to the economy/etc, offices closed.... duties changed.... yet I kept my lovely job (I work in local journalism/multimedia) and my benefits, at three days a week!!

    ReplyDelete