Thursday, October 13, 2011

Birth Control: To Be or Not To Be

A few days after I had Tory, I received a call from my OBGYN clinic inviting me to schedule a 6-week postpartum check-up. I happily did so over the phone (because I absolutely HATE doing things like calling to make appointments - I know, weird but for some reason I get all anxious-pants when I have to call and check into things, make appointments, etc. and I procrastinate until the very last minute. It drives my husband crazy).

Anyway ... while on the phone, the nurse asked what birth control method I was considering and I found this a little odd, to be honest. What business is it of the clinic's? Plus, this was the second time in a few days (as I had just been discharged from the hospital) someone had asked me about birth control methods post-baby. The other time was the morning after delivery when one of the attending physicians asked me in the hospital. I had to wonder - is the medical field that hard up for money they want me to jump back on birth control (specifically with a costly IUD, which is what both of them suggested in our conversations) or is it procedurally required they recommend birth control following a baby for health reasons (ie: to eliminate the risk of having multiple pregnancies back-to-back)?

To be honest, I wasn't sure what method was best for us. I'd been on The Pill (Ortho Try-Cyclen's generic) since I was 16 (not because I was sexually active, but because my parents felt it better to be prepared than to have a teenager with an unplanned pregnancy). So that was that and I never had any issues with it, or taking The Pill daily for that matter, for the lengthy 15 years I was on it.

It wasn't until Andi and I were ready to start trying for baby I realized how altering birth control is to a woman's body. Last November, I went off The Pill and started following the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) by taking my temperature every morning and charting it as so to predict ovulation. We were one of the lucky ones; a month later, I was pregnant.

One thing I realized when observing the Fertility Awareness Method (or rather, just going off birth control all together) was just how much I didn't know about my own body. I vaguely remember a high school health class or two discussing the female anatomy, but I can't say I ever retained any of that information. I was too busy making googly eyes at the boy sitting next to me! I also didn't realize just how powerful birth control hormones really are. I mean, wow, I took a pill every day for 15 years and never got pregnant. I stopped taking said "pill" for TEN DAYS and got pregnant. Whoa.

So, the big question before me - what birth control method is right for me now? Andi didn't seem to care much other than stressing that I physically BE on some sort of birth control. He isn't ready to put his faith in the FAM method (or in my ability to track ovulation) apparently. This left me to make the decision on my own and part of me felt scared to resume the entrance of such powerful, artificial hormone(s) into my body. But ... and that's a big BUT ... the other part of me is really nervous to get pregnant again. I know we'll have another baby someday, but I'm not ready for that day to be today.  Likely I would have a hard time conceiving anyway since I'm nursing, but I know this can't be relied on either.

After talking it over with my doctor, I decided to get the Mirena IUD. I hope I made the right decision. Everything sounded peachy when I was at the appointment and the little IUD was conveniently laying on the table, ready to be inserted. I liked the idea of not having periods (or very little) and the idea of not having to run to the pharmacy every month (again, I HATE calling things in and I always find myself scrambling at the last second to pick up my prescription). She made it sound so simple - when we'd like to try for another baby I just make an appointment, she removes the IUD and we're ready to start trying.

Isn't it funny how you hear about something EVERYWHERE you turn when it's happening in your life? Like breaking up with a boyfriend only to see his car or hear his name mentioned in every conversation. I've heard such negative press about the IUD since my appointment. And, uh, too late - I already got it. Some say it's the most painful procedure to have completed (although I hardly felt any pain at all - this is because I'm postpartum and my cervix is still soft) and how many crazy side effects people had once on it (mood swings, depression, etc). It's all making me very nervous to have entered into the world of birth control again.

Seriously, how did guys get off so easy?

2 comments:

  1. When your done having kids, make it up to him to have something done! Then he doesn't get off so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the Mirena IUD after having kids and had to get it taken out and am now on BC pills. Will have to rethink it again since my body can't take being pregnant again.

    Trying to lure my husband, well not lure, but let him know it's his turn.

    ReplyDelete