Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Flub

I never thought I'd say this, but postpartum clothes wearing is 17 million times WORSE than pregnancy wear. I have absolutely nothing to wear these days. I still have 10 pounds to lose to be back to pre-pregnancy weight (14 according to my doctor's scale and seriously, is SOMEONE going to fix that scale? It always reads heavy!). Not to mention my stomach is all sorts of, well, poochy. I find it funny how I thought my stomach was poochy before I was pregnant and now I realize I was smoking crack. That was not poochy, this is poochy and come to think of it, it's not all that funny after all.

Coupled with the fact that I gave myself absolutely no wiggle room in the sizing department pre-pregnancy, I have nothing in my closet that fits. Worse than not being able to close my jeans at all, I can squeeze into them and find myself sporting a glamorous muffin-top stomach instead. It's been unseasonably warm around here lately and somewhere between the move and not buying regular clothes for a year because I was preggo, I have no shirts that aren't t-shirts. It's apparent now that 2009 was a big Target graphic tee year for me and somehow those t-shirts look very adolescent to me now that I'm 30 and a mama.

So, I'm wearing maternity leggings and tank tops like they're going out of style. Which, I guess isn't that big of deal since I'm mostly at home during the day. BUT .... along come special events like the San Diego wedding we just attended or movie premieres like the one Andi asked me to attend with him last night. Have. Nothing. To. Wear.

After a crazy amount of complaining about my situation, Andi came home early yesterday and brought me a $100 Target gift card. "Go shopping" he said, "All by yourself. I've got the baby." I'm pretty sure I was squealing out of the drive-way before he finished his sentence (oh so long ago are the days I was terrified to leave Tory for an hour or two. Wait, that was actually last week, but whatev's).

I went to Target and found a few things I liked. I even tried them on in the store which, whoa, is a pretty big deal for me. I'm usually more in the camp of buying and promising to return the rejected items only to NEVER do as planned and let the crappy purchase hang in my closet un-worn. After trying on 20 items, I found 3 I was pleased enough to purchase. Why though did someone not warn me about dressing room lights and the deadly combination of a nasty linea nigra line down my stomach and my pasty white haven't-seen-the-light-of-a-tanning-bed in 9+ months body? Geez.

While changes to my body are COMPLETELY worth it as they resulted in my beautiful baby girl, it's going to take some getting used to as I settle into my new self image. Breastfeeding melts the pounds they say, and I suppose it has (down 27 pounds since Tory's birth) but WHEN will the rest come off? And how long before I start to feel like ME again? I guess the only bright spot is winter's approach. At least I don't have to sport a bikini anytime soon ....

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, the post-partum body is really not so awesome. My linea negra stuck around until I was almost 9 months post-partum which was REALLY annoying. I'm not really that into being in bathing suits ever though, so it wasn't a huge deal. My stomach never went back to the way it was before but I also never ever work out so I can't really complain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I hear you loud and clear. Booo. I have about 10-11 lbs to go yet and the muffin-top/nothing to wear is so awful when I go out. I'm pretty sure I'll be back to normal-ish by 6-7 months out, but that's so faaaaaar away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My midwife told me that what she sees more is 9months to pile it on and a good year and a half to fully take it off and be back to somewhat your old self. But reality is that sometimes those last few pounds are what are the worst to kick. Beware of putting weight back on AFTER stopping breastfeeding. I put back on quickly a few lbs after that reality but then it slowly leveled out. It has been 18 months from Jane's birth now and I am back at my pre-baby weight from her.
    Hang in there and welcome to the mothering club! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know most people don't like the word "Weight Watchers" but I never would of believed that it was such a great program and also that their program is great for nursing moms... I would of never dreamt I would EVER be able to take weight off but I have. I thoroughly enjoy being on their program and have found that my eating habits were terrible!! Whether it be baby weight or menopausal weight gain I would highly recommend this program.

    ReplyDelete