Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chloe Pup: Life with a Baby



My first baby hasn't gotten much play these days. All of a sudden, Tory Bean has stolen all the attention in our house. One day Chloe was the center of our world and the next day she wasn't. Poor thing.

Our friends and family often ask how Chloe's adjusting to life with a newborn and I have to say, she's been a good sport about it all. After having exclusive attention for 6 years, I wasn't sure how she'd adjust to sharing the spotlight. Chloe isn't Tory's biggest fan but she doesn't bother her either -- which is a big plus in bringing a new baby into the home with a pet. She's given Tory a sniff or two over the last two months, but otherwise stays her distance. Which is fine with me - I don't have to worry about Chloe messing with Tory if I leave the room for a minute.

Surprisingly, Chloe's become much more social to OTHER PEOPLE now that Tory's here. I think she realizes attention from Mom and Dad is limited so she better soak up any love she can get elsewhere. She seems less afraid of other dogs and thankful anytime we include her in an activity such as taking out the trash or taking a "once around" the neighborhood.

As much as Chloe may not love Tory, she supports her. Chloe follows me to the living room every single night for feedings and keeps me company in the wee hours of the night. If I'm pacing the room with the baby, she often follows along at my feet. When I take Tory to her nursery to be changed, Chloe follows us in there and lays patiently on the floor beside the crib.

Life with a baby is definitely different for a dog. I think she's coming around to Tory in her own way. Little does she realize, about the time she warms up to having a baby, Tory will be chasing her around the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment