Thursday, March 21, 2013

Easter Egg Time

It isn't Easter time until you decorate eggs, so that's exactly what Tory and I did today. It was a sunny, cold 28 degrees outside, but that didn't stop us from participating in fun spring holiday traditions. I wasn't quite sure how egg dyeing would go since Tory's awfully young yet, so I prepared myself for mess and figured we'd be in good shape if we had a few colored eggs at the end. I bought Tory a special Sesame Street eye dyeing kit with stickers to decorate the eggs which I thought she'd especially like since she loves stickers so much these days.

I began the egg dyeing process during Tory's nap because I figured it'd take a long time to boil and cool the eggs before using them. I kind of forgot how long it takes for the actual dyeing as well since I like my Easter eggs to be nice and bright. Tory was very interested in all the pretty colors and desperately wanted to touch the eggs while they were coloring. I held her off and we played in the other room while this step was taking place.

After the eggs were colored and dry, we set to decorating. Tory was so dang excited about the eggs she kept wanting to squeeze them! Plastic Easter eggs are her favorite toy, so I suppose the love spilled over to real eggs, too. I handed Tory a few stickers and she did her best to stick them onto the eggs, but the dumb things wouldn't stay put. Also, stickers on eggs are a great idea for 18 month olds but for moms who likes things to lay flat and smoothly, they were the most annoying things ever.



Didn't matter much because Tory's favorite thing to do with the eggs was slam them on the table anyway. She smooched the blue egg pretty good, so we ended up eating that one and tossing the shell.


I imagine this activity becomes more fun when kiddos can actually do the dyeing themselves. This year, it was a lot of waiting, watching, stickering and cracking.

Also, for comparison's sake, I paired last year's Easter Bunny photo against the one taken yesterday. Isn't it crazy how much difference a year makes?

2 comments:

  1. She's getting so big!! That project takes a lot of patience I'm sure. Crazy thing is; here in Switzerland you know you're buying hard boiled eggs because they are always dyed all different colors, do I dare cheat and just buy some that are already colored and we just decorate them???
    Enjoy all the spring activities you have planned :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to dye Easter eggs with any of my kids....just seems really really messy of a project at the moment. You are very brave!

    ReplyDelete