Monday, March 11, 2013

Wisconsin Snowmobiling Trip

Andi's been itching to go snowmobiling this winter and being the fun loving wife I am, I suggested we bring a babysitter to the cabin with us last weekend while we hit the trails together. Fortunately for us, Andi's cousin Taylor, who's also our weekly babysitter, agreed to come along and watch Tory. Andi secured a few snowmobiles for our use over the weekend and we were set.

Now I must say, in the seven years Andi and I have been together, I've come a long way from Miss Girly Girl with limited experience and actual interest in outdoor recreation to Mrs. Sporty Spice who'll give anything a try. Andi has an adventurous spirit and it means a lot to him that I participate in his various interests. We've gone canoeing down St. Croix River which I surprisingly loved, ice fishing this winter, taken many, many hikes (of which many I thought my lungs were going to explode), snowshoeing and snowmobiling. Most times, I end up having a fun time and gain an appreciation for the activity even if I means I don't necessarily want to do it everyday. You'd think Andi would return the favor and participate alongside me in my favorite hobbies, but he has yet to get into scrapbooking, baking, crafting or watching college football with me. What's the deal? 

Anyway, a few years ago Andi took me snowmobiling for the first time in Northern Minnesota and I rode on the back of his sled the entire time. I didn't love snowmobiling during that experience and in fact, I remember strongly suggesting he GET ME OFF THIS THING BECAUSE I AM DONE!!! I enjoyed the first one or two hours of our adventure, but by hour four or five I was hungry and tired and cold. Plus, riding on the back of a sled for five hours was a bit scary at times when the sled felt unsteady and I personally had no control over the machine.

This time, Andi borrowed two sleds so we'd each have one to ride. I've never driven my own sled so I was a bit nervous, especially after talking to our cabin neighbor who told me stories of flipping hers in the ditch a few days prior. I bucked up for Andi's sake, mostly because he was so excited to ride and drove it. Turns out, snowmobiling is actually fun when you're the one driving and in control of your own sled. Andi was respectful of the fact I didn't want to ride all day long, so we took short trail loops around our cabin and I really enjoyed myself. Just to poke fun at Andi, I kept mentioning how fun it's going to be watching Husker football together this fall and hosting our very own tailgate party. "Look! I'm having fun and so will you,' I said about a million times.

My very own pink helmet

Stopped for a pic during a ride Sunday morning


Ready to ride - I can DO THIS!
There were cool little shacks like this all over the place for snowmobilers to take a break. There's even an out house (4 U 2 P, the sign said) should you need to do your business in the woods. 


During our trail rides, we saw lots of wildlife and a side of the cabin area we don't usually see from the road. The trails were beautifully groomed and it was peaceful to ride through the woods and fields. Andi also took Taylor for a snowmobile adventure so she wasn't stuck watching Tory all weekend and had some boy time riding with his friend Derrick where they burned off some male testosterone driving fast and jumping stuff. It turned out to be a pretty great weekend at the cabin.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on riding two-up. It stinks.

    I've had my own sled for five years and it has made snowmobiling an activity I now am enthusiastic about instead of just something I tolerate. We live just off a trail system so it's really fun to ride right out of our neighborhood, even though my husband is a total trail snob because he was spoiled by growing up riding in northern MN.

    We're going up to his hometown this weekend to ride and I can hardly wait. I love riding slower than the boys so I can take in the sights of the forest. I know people think snowmobiling is redneck but I really enjoy it. As much as I like other outdoor winter activities, there is something to be said for being able to cover a lot of geography vs snowshoeing.

    ReplyDelete