Sunday, March 31, 2013

Handmade Crayon Pouches

Since becoming a stay-at-home-mom in late November, I've felt more inspired to experience new places / things / activities. I guess that's what little stress and a love for what you do will get you.

I started a 2013 bucket list of sorts and jotted my "to do's" down on the sidebar of my blog as a reminder of the things I'd like to experience this year. One of my wish list ideas is to learn how to sew. 

This task is inspired by all the fun projects I've seen floating around Pinterest. Wouldn't it be neat to whip up little baby doll diapers for Tory to play with, make bibs and burp cloths for baby shower gifts or sew an activity smock for Tory's arts and crafts projects? I've been kicking myself for not paying more attention in high school home economics but honestly, the 17-year-old me wouldn't have believed I'd become a housewife someday unless the 32-year-old me was here living it!

Lucky for me, I have a fabulously talented mother-in-law who is skilled in all things creative. I found an easy first project to dip my toes in the waters of sewing and asked Janie if she'd assist me in completing it. I was racking my brain for cute, creative Easter basket gifts for my nieces and my cousin's little boys and girls a few months ago and decided to make these hand-made crayon pouches to accompany a coloring book. Simple and sweet. I think my first sewing project turned out pretty great!


First, I selected several different fabric quarters ($1.99 each) and matching ribbon ($2.99 each) from the fabric store. This project would have been fairly inexpensive if I would have known what I was doing. When I finished it, I realized I could have made three crayon pouches for every $1.99 fabric quarter. 

Janie read through the detailed instructions ahead of time and gave me a lesson on how to use her sewing machine. Then, she left me to work to make mistakes craft on my own. At first, I tried to follow the instructions exactly and use the sewing machine exclusively. With more time and practice, I probably could have finished each pouch as directed, but I only had the day to make them while Janie and Jim played with Tory in the next room.


Eventually, Janie showed me how to use her Serger sewing machine which quickly cut and sewed together the edges of each pouch together. I used the regular sewing machine for the zig-zag pattern holding the crayons in place.


The crayon pouches weren't perfect but in the end, I think they turned out pretty cute. These would be great to throw in your purse or diaper bag for quiet time at restaurants or in church. I hope all the little ones in my family enjoy them! I definitely enjoyed my first sewing experience and can't wait to try something new (with the guidance of Janie, of course!)

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the crayon pouches and think they are perfect!! It makes me want to attempt to make something new. I am off to pinterest to look for some inspriation!

    Thanks again for the crayon pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are SEW cute! (Sorry, I had to go there!) It's also on my list of goals this year to learn how to sew, so I might take a cue from you and make these for my nieces as my first project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ADORABLE!!! Those came out great :) I actually gave out coloring books and similar crayon rolls for a party favor at Adelle's 1st birthday party, but I ordered them on Etsy. Seems silly now seeing how simple they are to make!
    I still keep a roll in each of my diaper bags and purses though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How simple! I was a big sewer growing up with 4-H but was slightly annoyed when I parents bought me a sewing machine for college graduation. BUT, now I use it all the time for projects & hubby got me a serger for Christmas. Yesterday at my parents house, I found fabric my brother & sister in law used as togas in college so I'm going to make them a bunch of baby things (wipes, wet bags, burp rags, etc) out of it :)

    ReplyDelete