Saturday, March 16, 2013

Living Room Decorating (Un)Inspiration

Being home every day has unearthed a serious desire to redecorate my house. I don't know if it's because I stare at these walls for more hours than I used to, or because I'm not dog tired at the end of a work day and actually have the energy to care about such things. Maybe both. Or, it could be a spring cleaning / out with the old (winter) and in with the new (spring) desire to liven up the place. My challenge in decorating is always to use what I have, re-organize things in different ways, move items to different rooms and spend as little money as possible on new home decor. Vases and knick-knacks and things seems so darn expensive in the store and I'm never sure how they'll go together with our already-existing stuff anyway. This might also be why I'm itching for a change.

Our basement is on my to-do to redecorate this year. It's cold downstairs and even though we have a gas fireplace which warms things up quickly, we don't spend much time hanging out there. I think it's because it doesn't feel very inviting. We have the benefit of having nice sized windows in our basement so it's not completely doom and gloom. I'd like to brighten things up a bit more to make it a space we feel comfortable hanging out together as a family.

In our downstairs living room, we have built-in wooden bookshelves on two of the four walls. While everyone in the world gushes over how wonderful they are, Andi and I are less than pleased with their appearance. I know the built-in bookshelves were probably expensive to install and they offer great decorating potential, but I really have no idea how to decorate so many shelves in one space. It seems as if every example I find for inspiration has bookshelves filled with books (now there's a novel idea) or they're bookshelves one-fourth the size of what we have to work with. Yes, I'd love to have a cute stack of books with a ceramic bird perched on top of them, a faux lantern displayed next to it and maybe a frame or two of our cute little family. But, then what? How shall I decorate the other fifty-million shelves available in our never-ending wall of built-in bookcases?


One might suggest filling our bookshelves with real books but well, Andi and I own about six of those between the two of us. It seems silly just to buy books to decorate our shelves. We both have Kindles for goodness sake! Tory has quite a few books, of course, but I don't think Chica Chica Boom Boom and Noisy Barn will convey the same grown-up look we're trying to achieve.

The fanciest books we own

The built-in bookshelves are just too dark for us and that's one major issue. Our plan is to have the wood professionally painted white to match the white trim in the room. I'm a little nervous to pull the trigger on this home renovation project because I can't get my parents voices out of my head. I just know my dad would rather die than paint over perfectly good wood. We had the white paint job cued up for this spring, but decided to hold off for a bit and spend the money elsewhere. So for now, the brown-colored built-ins are here to stay and if I can figure out how to decorate them as is, I think I'd be happier in the living room space all together.

The ginormous area of built-in bookshelves has left me uninspired when it comes to the fireplace mantle. Fireplace mantles seems so easy for everyone else to decorate, but I'm seriously stumped and to be honest, a bit intimidated. I'd like to decorate the mantle with adorable family photographs, a few candles and maybe a decorative plant or two, but I've already got that going on in the bookshelves. I think more photographs and candles would be overkill.



I've seen inspiration mantles with spring flowers in vases and they look so fresh and inviting, but are fresh flowers really practical, especially in a basement? I think Andi would have a heart attack if I put fake flowers in our house. I don't think, I know he would. I've been tempted to try crafting one of those cute mantle banners all over Pinterest. I'm worried doing anything special to the mantle will seem off-balanced until I fix the built-in bookshelves as well. I'm at a uninspired decorating stand-still when it comes to our downstairs living room. I'm thisclose to raiding the neighborhood Home Goods and completely starting over.

7 comments:

  1. I can relate to this. Many of the things. I'm a huge book lover but am also anti-things/clutter so I don't own all that many books and therefore don't have a lot to put on bookshelves. (A. has 10 thousand books but they are all paperbacks or text books in terrible shape that he bought at thrift stores years ago and AHHHHHH how I hate them. He won't part with them, however so they fill up two gigantic bookshelves in the basement. I will continue to beg to unload them for the rest of my life, I think.)

    And I am also team Paint-the-wood-white. My dad was horrified (which is hilarious since he has never ever ever shown any interest in material things be it clothes or furniture or anything) and A. isn't 100% on board. But I know it will brighten things.

    Just throwing an idea out there - what if you has someone custom build cabinet/closet doors to cover a couple of the bookshelves? As your family expands you will love having space to hide toys & all the other clutter that comes with children. Would also cut way down on what you have to decorate.

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like the idea of maybe adding some cabinets over the shelves! Great for toy, craft, game storage.
    I looooove your fireplace. What a cozy space! I also think that painting the wood white would brighten things up. I know it's such a painful decision, but white trim and woodwork immediately updates the look of a house. Keep us updated on what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had another thought, what about baskets on the lower shelves? If you found some cute fabric lined baskets that fit 2 in a shelf just right and used them for the entire bottom 3 shelves, it would look great! And again, provide some great storage for some "less pretty" items. The HomeGoods around here have been overflowing with cute baskets lately. Maybe try it out and you can always return them if you don't like the look?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome suggestions!

    Mothership - I never thought about adding cabinets for extra storage. That would really break up all the shelving - love that idea.

    Mama Tully - The baskets are a great idea, too, and something I could do now. I'll definitely be on the lookout for some that fit our shelving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the baskets and/or doors idea. Also, those built in's are amazing, painted or not, they make the room look "rich."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am beginning redecorating my house and love the ideas! I really want to make my basement a fun place to hang out. I want to look adorable but also have functional benefits and maybe even a mini refrigerator!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a great space in your basement. And thanks to your windows, dark area is less of your problems. Yay! It’s nice to transform it into a family room, by the way. I believe it's become more functional compared to the usual pool room or a bar that others have.

    Allyson @ DnMRoofing.net

    ReplyDelete