Monday, March 18, 2013

Music Together

This winter, we took a break from swimming and I signed Tory up for music lessons at a local church. I thought we needed a change in pace every week and music seemed like something different, fun and warm! (There was no way I was walking outside with a wet head of hair during the Minnesota winter.) Another reason, I thought Tory was growing a little bored of swimming after the fall session. She seemed less excited about getting in the pool each week and our class during the last session was a bit strange. For one, most of the parents were dads and I felt a little awkward swimming with dudes for some reason. Secondly, Tory seemed more experienced than the other toddlers in her class, so she was learning less and distracted more. I don't say this in a braggy parent way. Tory's interest in swimming was obviously higher than the girl who screamed the entire class and the others who flat-out refused to participate in some of the activities. Lastly, the teacher was really splashy. As in, she splashed really aggressively and I was sick and tired of being sopping wet after every stinkin' class. I know I was in a swimming pool and likely to get wet, but I'm not the one dunking my head under water and I'd rather not feel like it by the end of the class. So, a break from swimming was needed.

I met Lindsay and her daughter, Ashley, at swimming class last summer (at our super fun swimming session where all the kids were exactly Tory's age and skill level) and we became fast friends. Lindsay invited Tory and I to sign up for the music class they'd taken in the past and were taking again this winter. That music class has seriously been the highlight of my week this winter and I'm not even kidding. (This probably makes me sound pathetic and I can hear my husband telling me now that I need to get out more, but it's true!) I saw a new side of Tory in music class that I've never seen before. I know she's an outgoing kid, but it was so neat to see her "learn" music and the evolution of her interest in the class from start to finish. At first, she happier running around than singing and dancing, but quickly began tapping her knees and singing along in her own way -- "baa baa baa." The music teacher said children learn music in four stages and I found this to be very interesting:

1) The child hears the music
2) The child hears the music and attempts to participate by keeping the beat, but then loses pace
3) The child hears the music, attempts to participate by keeping the beat and can keep the pace
4) The child hears the music, attempts to participate by keeping the beat and can even change tempo

It's truly inspiring as a parent to watch Tory evolve in this way. She's obviously quite young and at this point is only learning to catch the beat then loses pace, but she's interested! And learning! And happy! I also loved watching her interact with the other children in the class, offering to share instruments with others and hugging her friends repeatedly. Since we're at home everyday, it feels good to see her loving spirit happening in public settings and not just at home. I want to make sure she has the opportunity to socialize and learn how to act around others her age and older / younger kids, and that's the primary reason we even sign up for activities like music or swimming.

We met a new friend, Katie, and her daughter Britta, at class and the six of us (Lindsay/Ashley, Katie/Britta and Tory/I) had a ball singing and dancing together every Friday. I'm really going to miss our time together now the session is over. After class last Friday, I snapped a few photos of Tory and her music friends so we could always remember the fun winter we had together.

Ashley, Britta and Tory
May I also say, this class was a bit of a learning experience for me as well. I am not musically talented in the least bit. I'm the girl who has a hard time clapping on the beat with fans at a sporting event. I love to sing but I stink at it, so I save all my belting notes for church, car rides and singing happy birthday. Plus, I haaaate dancing.  This class definitely forced me out of my comfort zone!

We start swimming lessons again this Wednesday and I'm *crossing my fingers* for a fun class. I think Tory will be excited to get back in the pool again and with lake season coming up at the cabin, Andi and I feel it's important for Tory to have as much exposure to the water as possible.

It's moments like music class that reinforce my love for being a stay-at-home-parent. I realize how lucky I am to have the opportunity to see Tory grow and learn in these environments and for this chance, I'm forever grateful.

3 comments:

  1. We did music together last winter and I loved it too! Adelle was a big fan and loved singing and dancing along, but Lilah usually spent the entire class sitting in the hallway or wanting a snack. She does much better when there is movement involved, so now I try to focus her extracurriculars on dance, gymnastics, etc... It is amazing how intuitive music is for little ones though, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! We're signed up for the spring session at our local MT, so I'm glad to hear it was a good experience.

    We've been doing ECFE in a 11-20 month old class and I've had the same sort of thoughts as I see Maren engage with others and explore. It's a side of her I don't see at home when it's just the two of us. A major blessing, the classes are, for both M and myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did Music Together in the fall and Annie LOVED it sooo much. We still listen to the CD every single car ride :) She wants to do it again but it was pretty expensive so I'm not sure if we will. She definitely liked it FAR more than swimming but swimming is one of those essential life skills that she HAS to learn (especially since we are frequently at a cabin!) so she's going to need to learn to love that one :)

    ReplyDelete