Monday, March 4, 2013

Family Visit

My parents, sister and her family visited us in Minnesota this weekend. We haven't seen each other since Christmas and they haven't been to the Cities since August when they usually trek North for Tory's birthday. To say I was excited to have them visit my home was an understatement! A weekend with no big party plans or holiday event on the calendar - a low-key weekend at my house was a rare treat.

My dad is diabetic and it's a strain on his eyes to drive the long seven hours to Minnesota. My mom's not comfortable doing the driving either, so usually by the time they arrive at my house they're on pins and needles. (Neither of my parents like to fly, so that's out of the question). My sister has a big SUV, but also has two small children, and it's usually not feasible for everyone to drive up together ... until this weekend. My brother-in-law, Jason, did the driving so it was great to see my parents arrive here, happy and ready for a fun weekend.

The car caravan arrive Friday afternoon and we spent the rest of the day, and the remainder of the weekend, hanging out at my house and watching my nieces Brooke (5 1/2 years) and Neeley (7 months) play together with Tory (18 months). I know there's a million fabulous restaurants and sight-seeing things to do in the Twin Cities, but honestly we just wanted to spend time together. Andi and I cooked all the meals but dinner on Saturday night (when I twisted my mom's arm to make her delicious pork chops), so I hope it was a relaxing time for my family.

Tory loves babies and is always honing her mama skills, so it's no surprise she was obsessed with Neeley. It always takes Tory a few minutes to warm up in new situations, but the girls reached for each other and hugged the minute Neeley arrived. All weekend, Tory vigorously patted her legs requesting Neeley to sit on her lap. Eighteen pound Neeley, sitting on 20-pound Tory. Ha! The girls are almost the same size except Tory has more hair and a bountiful amount of energy.

Neeley "sitting on" Tory's lap 


Neeley is the happiest baby I've ever met - always smiling!
Always a special place in my heart for Brookie

Papa and Neeley

Ashley and Jason, just relaxing
My favorite nieces, Brooke and Neeley
Brooke and Tory played together, too, and I was happy to see how patient Brooke was with Tory when she tried her best to tag along in pretend play. The girls played dolls and house, kitchen and read books. There was even a little break for iPad relaxation.

Brooke and Tory taking a break, watching Bubble Guppies

Cousin love!
(Brookie's missing her two front teeth - ha!)

Neeley sitting on Tory's lap again ... and everyone sitting on Nana's

A fun weekend with the family!

No comments:

Post a Comment