Friday, March 15, 2013

Growing Up

Parenting is such a crazy experience.

There was a time, not long ago, rocking my tiny infant daughter to sleep in her bouncy chair was the only way to get her to take a nap. Rocking the bouncy seat with my hand, because the vibration of the chair wasn't satisfactory.

I remember many months of rocking my baby girl to sleep in a rocking chair. Fond and loving, yet exhausting memories of rocking her to sleep in a completely dark, quiet room while Andi ate dinner alone or while all of our friends and family at the cabin hung out by the lake.

I'll never forget all the days I nearly broke my back leaning over my baby girl's crib, rubbing her back to sleep. Sometimes, 45-60 minutes standing in one position trying not to make a sound. When I'd move a muscle and the floor creaked, my nearly one-year-old daughter would cry and I'd have to start the soothing process all over again.

Yes, parenting is such a crazy experience.

This morning Tory was extra fussy at breakfast, throwing little fits when things didn't go her way. We have music class today, so morning nap time on Fridays is always a little tight. I have to lay her down by 8:30am or we'll be late getting out to the door to music. A glance at the clock told me it was already 8:45am and a morning nap was probably out the question. In passing, I mentioned to Tory she could really use a nap as fussy as she was behaving. Instinctively, I warmed up some milk and handed it to her. Tory turned on a dime and calmly walked herself down the hallway to her bedroom, where she stood by her crib and waited for me to lay her down for rest.

I am shocked by that child, sometimes. I am amazed at how smart and aware she is of her surroundings. I'm in awe of the way her little mind works and reminded especially in moments like this how much of a big girl she's growing up to be. Sometimes, for a very quick second, I wish I was back in those moments where I rocked her for hours and she needed me so much. Nah, having a big girl who sleeps is a nice stage to be in, too.

3 comments:

  1. This stage is so freaking awesome I find myself picking my jaw up off of the floor all day long. I am writing about one of these same little stories right now too. I love these little people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! She is turning into such a big girl : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those days, standing by the crib rubbing their back until your own back hurts, rocking to sleep in the chair. Seems like forever and then it's gone.

    ReplyDelete