Saturday, March 30, 2013

Letters to Tory: 19 Months

Happy 19 months, Tory!

Half-way to two years old, you're continuing to show your true individuality. This month was filled with lots of belly laughs, high fives and hugs and kisses, all thanks to you. You have an outgoing personality and in situations where you feel most comfortable and with familiar people, you'll freely dance to music and perform your latest tricks with pleasure.



One of my favorite memories of you happened in music class this month. We began singing a song called "Everybody Loves Saturday Nights" which you've only heard a handful of times. All the mommies and kids in the class were sitting on the floor in a circle and as the music began to play, you jumped up and ran to the center of the circle and starting dancing this little gig. Your legs were moving so fast as you kicked and hopped from foot to foot. You apparently love Saturday nights (ha!) and you had all the moms in the class practically crying from laughter. I was re-telling the story to Nana and Papa later in the day and you busted out the same little gig again. You can be such a ham.



I've also noticed a new side of you - a shy side - when you're in an unfamiliar place or around people you don't know. I think this shyness is fairly characteristic of your age, but I continue to be amazed when my bubbly, outgoing toddler burrows her little head in my chest to "hide" from people or new situations. At your 18 month doctor's appointment earlier this month, you refused to make eye contact with the pediatrician during our entire visit. You didn't cry, but you pinned your cute little chin down to your chest and did your best to become invisible to the doctor.



Speaking of your 18 month doctor's appointment, we received your latest stats: you weigh 22 pounds (41%) and are 31 inches tall (40%). You're wearing 18-24 month clothes, size 4 shoes and size 3 diapers. I shed a few tears the other day as I packed away your 12-18 month outfits. I couldn't figure out why these clothes seemed so short on your arms and legs because they fit just fine the other day, but then I realized "the other day" was three months ago at Christmastime and you've grown 2.5 pounds and 2 inches since then. Crazy how times flies by so quickly.



These days, you insist on wearing stickers on your clothes and are fascinated by tracing your hands on paper. You copycat anything we do, like the other day when I tapped a finger to my mouth and said "hmmm." You do this action all the time now, especially when we're playing Easter egg hunt around the house. This is your favorite, favorite game to play (you, always obsessed with plastic eggs) and you're pretty good at finding the eggs I hide, too! I love the way your eyes flutter when you try so hard to squeeze them shut as I'm hiding the eggs and sometimes when I say "let's hide the eggs" you dump the entire bucket behind the door and then gesture your arms to say "where'd they go?" Daddy is beyond thrilled you'll finally give him high fives and "knucks" (fist bumps) on command. I think he's been waiting since the day you were born for you to be able to do this.



You still love to read books, play baby dolls and pretend kitchen, serving us plastic food and drinks. Your compassion for other kids is infectious, especially those younger than you. When your cousin Neeley (7 months) visited this month, you could barely contain yourself from squeezing her with all your might. You want to hold every baby you meet on your lap and pat your knees or the space beside you feverishly, gesturing for the baby to sit next to you.


You're starting to learn your colors and can correctly identify anything "blue" when we ask you. Well, to be honest, everything is "blue" because it's the only color you can verbally say right now. You're also fairly accurate in pointing out things that are green, pink and red and I've heard you say these words a few times, although not consistently enough to be called real words just yet.



You've always been a mommy's girl, Tory Bean, but this month you've discovered a newfound love for your daddy. I think you say "dada? dada?" about 20 times a day and it was especially hard on you when he was traveling several times this month. Whenever daddy does come home, you run to greet him at the door and are insistent he take his coat off immediately. You never have the chance to miss me, my dear, because we're together 24/7.



In fact, one of my favorite parts about staying home with you every day is our morning snuggle sessions. You wake up around 6:30am and I carry your sleepy body into my bed so we can wake up slowly together. You're very much like your mama and need a few minutes to wake up in the mornings, so we cuddle together and watch an episode of Bubble Guppies (your new obsession - "bubble! bubble!"). I love this start to our day when it feels like the whole world is quiet and I have you tucked in next to me. I love you, Beanie. Thank you for bringing so much joy to my life.

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. She is such a doll! Our babies are getting so big!

    It's also so crazy to me how they are doing the exact same little things. Charley does the finger tap hmmm thing too, she also only identifies "blue" and she pats the seat next to her for anyone else to sit beside her too. I can't wait for them to meet one day!


    ReplyDelete