Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hodge Podge

What's happening today:

ONE: Poor little Chloe is sick today. I'm not sure what's the matter with her. Andi and I took her for a walk last night and Chloe didn't act as excited as she usually does. On our walk, she took a little poo (this is probably TMI, so skip ahead if you don't care to read) and it smeared all over the back of her. Ick. And of course, I didn't quite realize it until we went into Walgreens and I carried her all around the store. (Yes, we take Chloe into Walgreens. Our neighborhood Walgreens is cool with dogs). Needless to say, I had poo all over my arm and Chloe needed a bath when we got home.

During the middle of the night, Chloe paced all around the bedroom. I could hear her little nails tapping against the hard wood floors. She obviously couldn't sleep. And today she's throwing up, has diarrhea and is shaking like a leaf. So, I made an appointment at the Animal Clinic for 6pm. Andi's "agreeing to disagree" with me about her vet appointment. I think the phrase "you don't think I should go to the doctor when I'm sick" came out of his mouth. Andi - you're a grown adult (who goes to the doctor every week, by the way). Chloe's a 6 pound dog who doesn't speak English. And as her Mom, I have to step in.

I'm glad I took her to the vet. After discussing her symptoms, the doctor immediately put an IV into the middle of her back to rehydrate her. She said little dogs get dehydrated very easily. She said vomitting and diarrhea can be the secondary symptoms of a lot of things and they woudn't really know for sure unless they did a full blood work-up. I opted to wait a few more days to see if she gets better. The doctor put Chloe on two medications to help soothe her stomach. She also perscribed special food that's more gentle on her stomach than regular dog food.
Hopefully, this will do the trick and she'll be back to new.
TWO: Andi's settled into his new home office. I snapped this photo of him working yesterday ... how many computer does one man need to work?!

Guess owning your own business means you need 4 computers to get the job done!

Andi's new business is called Six Speed. Already I can tell a huge difference in his demeaner. It's an understatement to say he's got a bunch going on, but he seems happy to be working everyday. Hopefully all continues to go well for him.

THREE: Today I went to get a new driver's license and social security card. I've been a Mrs. for a month now so it's time I make the conversion. Believe it or not, I've been having a hard time getting used to my new name. I never remember to say my new last name in work meetings and since nothing official says my new name on it (other than our marriage license) it just doesn't seem real.

So today I went to the Social Security Administration in Minneapolis on 18th & Chicago Ave. This isn't exactly the nicest of neighborhoods but it's the closest office to my house besides downtown St. Paul (and I didn't want to fight with parking down there). When I walked into the Social Security Admin, I had to go through full security (just like the airport) then wait for my number to be called. I was clearly the only white person in the room. And the only person with teeth. All was good though - I was out of there in 30 minutes.

Next I went to the DMV. Same story - waited in line for 40 minutes for a new license. It's amazing how many different cultures are 10 minutes away from your house and you never even realize. Getting a new license was pretty painless too (other than the waiting). I didn't have to take a test and get my new license in about 2 weeks.

FOUR: Last Thursday, our tenant's dryer went out. The dryer is easily from 1967 - so it's no wonder it stopped working. We went to Appliance Smart this weekend to buy a new dryer figuring it would cost about the same to buy a new (cheap) dryer as it would be to call a repairman to fix it. We purchased a new dryer for $399 and set up delivery for today.
Today the dryer arrived. When the delivery boys began to carry it down the stairs, they quickly realized the dryer was about 1/8 of an inch too big to fit down the stairs. So...a $70 delivery fee later (Appliance Smart let us return the dryer but wouldn't refund the delivery charge) we were still dryer-less and out $70.
Finally, Andi called a repairman from CraigsList. He came over this evening and put a new belt on the old dryer. Good as new. Happy it's fixed ... but how frustrating, right!?

No comments:

Post a Comment