Saturday, September 19, 2009

Wake Me Up When September Ends

I hate the month of September.

It's a busy time at work for me with the start-up of the fall semester at University of Minnesota. Complicating this fact- the inaugral year of the TCF Bank Stadium where ARAMARK provides concessions and premium services for 50,000 Gopher football fans. Throw in a second part-time job and it's safe to say I'm exhausted.

Andi's busy this fall too as he's starting his own advertising agency. Yesterday, he landed a big piece of business (which is super exciting, so proud of him!) but also means he'll be working overtime to get the project complete in the next few weeks.

Why is this important? Heather + stress + Andi + stress = cranky couple.

Last night I came home from a 10 hour work day and plopped on the couch to finally catch up with my husband. As he's excitedly telling me about the new piece of business he'd sold earlier in the day, we start to bicker about where he'll office to complete this massive project by the deadline. Does this really matter to me? No. But I was tired. And he was tired. Enter small petty argument.

I hate when my work/life balance is off-kilter. No time for cleaning house or personal stuff like painting my toenails. No time to walk the dog or spend quality time with my husband.
No time to catch each other up on what's happening in our lives, so when we actually do sit down to talk we're too tired to listen to the whole story and jump to conclusions which leads to hurt feelings.

While I worked at the TCF Bank Stadium today, Andi went to the St. Paul Farmer's Market with his sister and picked up this lovely bouquet of flowers for our house. I bet they were for me...
And now we're celebrating our Saturday night by drinking martinis. Because that's the only logical thing to do when you've been up since 3:30AM working. Wake me up when September ends...

1 comment:

  1. What a WONDERFUL husband!! Looks like a perfect night.

    I think you could be writing my blog. Your last two posts mirror exactly what is going on at our house. First the baby boom post, and now this one - we are EXACTLY the same way lately. The other night I just burst out in tears that would not stop for over an hour (not just a few tears more like uncontrollable sobbing). Just from being completely overwhelmed and busy!!

    Hope your October is better : ) Only 11 more days!!

    ReplyDelete