Friday, February 19, 2010

Reflection

I had a stark revelation on February 14 (the day after my birthday): I'm sliding down a very slippery slope to being 30. Only 359 more days until that very moment. Almost being 30 has made me reflect on where I thought my 20's would take me. It's funny how you think life will turn out when you're in college ... and what different ways life really unfolds. Here's what I thought my life would be like:

DREAM: I wanted to marry someone who was smart, attractive, funny and driven. Someone who would be my best friend and the loving, supportive father of my children.
ACTUAL: I met a man who surpassed these characteristics by a long shot. Sometimes I'll be driving in my car or washing the dishes and a wave comes over me - I am the luckiest woman in the world. I can't believe I'm married to Andi. He chose ME.

DREAM: I hoped I'd work in marketing, specifically for Red Bull Energy Drink.
ACTUAL: Dream accomplished. And little did I know, that very dream would lead me to my husband. Sure I've moved on since then and my current job isn't exactly what I thought I'd be doing 7 years later, but I make the most of every experience.

DREAM: By 30, I thought I'd be married with 2.5 kids, a beautiful house and a cute little dog. The American dream - in living color.
ACTUAL: I'm almost there. I have the picture perfect life - minus the babies - but with God on my side, I'll be a mom soon enough. It's crazy how early I thought I'd have a baby (by 25 for sure!) and here I am, almost 30 and without. I do know good things come to those who wait.

There are a few things that've happened to me in my 20's that I never dreamed about, but have positively changed who I am today:

I've discovered a love of travel.
I've lived by myself, in a state without my friends or family.
I own a pair of boots - without heels. Actually two.
I've learned to be adventurous. Even if I'm scared. And only because my husband makes me.
I've developed a love for the environment. Someday, I'd like to put my passion to good use and help others live more sustainably.

I'm excited to see what the next 11 months will bring. I want to brainstorm a list of things to accomplish in the next 300 days. Time is ticking on my 29th year. Soon, I'll be embarking on a new decade of dreams and aspirations and I want to be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment