Saturday, February 12, 2011

Birthday Vaca: Day 1 cont.

Andi and I arrived into Orange County around Noon yesterday. We immediately stripped off all the layers and rolled down the windows of our rental car. It was warm – 65 degrees or so – and we were in heaven. Why do we live where we live again?

Andi had booked one night at a hotel near his old stomping grounds in Huntington Beach, just a block from the water. We stayed our first night at Shorebreak Hotel, a cute hotel with a surfer feel. Our room was nice – perfect for what we needed. I especially loved the laid back attitude of all the staff and guests. Would definitely recommend this place!



After we dropped our bags at the hotel, we walked down to Huntington Beach’s Main Street for some lunch. We chose Sharky’s – mostly for the outdoor patio – and ordered food. I had my first bout of vacation relaxation without being able to enjoy a cocktail and I have to admit, it stung a little. There are so few options when you can’t drink caffeine or booze. Anyway, I ordered a Sprite to go with my fajita salad.

We ate our lunches, then stopped next door for gelato before heading down to the beach. The air was chilly actually, mostly from the breeze off the water. We walked out to the pier and did a little people watching. Lots of surfers and fishermen, some toursits. I joked to Andi I am turning into a stroller stalker - I felt like I was eyeing up every person with a little baby to see what stroller they chose and how it handled!


After a while, we hopped into the car and Andi showed me the beach cities. We drove through Newport Beach and Laguna Beach, before parking the car and walking around the area. The air was much warmer down here, only a few miles away, mostly because the beach was tucked behind some rocks to break the breeze.


I gave into Andi with his favorite past time – walking in the sand – until we both decided we were getting hungry. Lucky for us, there was a nice restaurant right where we were stopped called The Beach House. It was only 4pm, but 6pm our time and we were already hungry. Lunch wasn’t the greatest meal and I think we were both looking for something a little nicer. We sat on the balcony and watched the sunset as we ate dinner. We shared a Grilled Artichoke, Andi ordered the Lobster Tail and I ordered a Sirloin. It was all delicious.




A little jealous of Andi’s gin and tonic, I got the bright idea and ordered a drink from the waitress. “Gin and tonic, hold the gin. Extra limes,” I said. My fruity tonic water tasted ALMOST as good as the real thing. I think I found my new preggo-friendly drink of choice. I call it the "Baby Tonic."


After dinner, we walked back to our car and cruised back to our hotel. We were both beat from the work week and the time change. I think we were both asleep by 9:30pm.

Today we got up early and are heading South for San Diego… more adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment