Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009

I was going to blog about our fun New Year's Eve plans today, but then I saw this fun QA recapping the year on another blog and thought that'd be more fun. I love these little lists you get on email forwards (I'm a huge sucker for them so whenever it says "who will respond to this first?" always pick me 'cuz I most definitely will)!  So here goes ...

2009


1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
I got hitched! Wahoo! To my wonderful husband and very best friend.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I can't honestly remember what my new year's resolutions were, but there were probably something like "save more money" and "pay off some bills."  I did better at the latter this year; not just need to work on saving more, spending less. Andi and I have a yearly goal of taking 4 trips a year and we failed at that one -- we only took 3 in 2009.  Truthfully, I usually don't set concrete resolutions because I always have severe panic attacks about this time of year when I realize I forgot to cross things off my life list. So, I set goals for myself and hope to attain them.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend Laura gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. I have a few friends and a family member expecting in 2010 so more babies to come this year. Yay!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes - my great-aunt died in April of this year.

5. What countries did you visit?
Yes we only took 3 trips this year, but we visited Panama and Thailand which are two places on our very large travel bucket list. Two amazing trips to Panama and Thailand.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you didn't have in 2009?
I'd like to have a baby (we're being truthful here, right?). Or, more patience for Andi's time at work - be more understanding of his time spent at work and the many tasks he balances there.

7. What dates from 2009 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
January 23 - the day we got engaged.
July 31 - our wedding day.

8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
I accomplished some great things at work this year in the areas mentoring and sustainability. Also, committing myself to Andi this year has made me put someone else's well being ahead of mine and that's not something I've ever had to do before. Getting married has definitely changed my perspective on life.  And, I've developed a deeper relationship with God this year which is something I'm really proud of.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being as fiscally responsible as I should.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully, Andi and I were both very healthy this year

11. What was the best thing you bought?
We didn't have any big, big purchases in 2009. I'm grateful for all the additions to our house we were able to purchase (or were gifted) through our wedding celebrations. Otherwise, it was things I bought for others - I love giving a gift to someone, watching them open it and seeing their face truly light up with happiness.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My neice Brooke. She's changed so much within a year and watching her learn and develop (start talking!) had been really fun.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
All the negatively and violence happening in our country and the world. Every day I watch the news I'm appalled and/or depressed by the way people treat others.

14. Where did most your money go?
Bills, bills, bills.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our honeymoon. Thailand was the farthest and most exotic place both Andi and I had ever been. It was scary to be in such a different place, but exhilerating at the same time.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
"Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillet -- one of the songs Andi put in the video he proposed with
"Follow Through" by Gavin DeGraw -- it's Andi and I's song and the song played at our wedding

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier, thinner, richer. I'd say it was a good year, wouldn't you?

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Spend more time with my Nebraska friends. It's so hard to balance time when I'm home with family and friends -- I need to be better about this in 2010

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Complain. Sometimes I get myself all worked up over things that aren't really that big of a deal. And I just need to learn to deal.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Andi's family the week before Christmas where we had a fabulous time eating dinner, playing games, laughing and opening presents. We spent the actual holiday in Nebraska with my family where we almost killed ourselves driving down in a Winter Weather Advisory (which later turned into the biggest blizzard I ever remember seeing in Nebraska). We had a great time celebrating Christmas Eve at my aunt Cheri's house, opening gifts at my parent's late Christmas Eve night and then hunkering down for the rest of the weekend relaxing, eating tons of yummy food and watching movies.

21. Did you fall in love with 2009?
I did ... all over again with Andi. It's a remarkable feeling to commit your life to someone in front of God and your family. I'm truly blessed to have found him.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Oooh, too many to count. I love TV too much. I'd say How I Met Your Mother, Mad Men and Big Love.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope. Hating people is so 7th grade.

24. What was the best book you read?
Omnivore's Dilemma all the way. This book truly changed the way I view our food system and the things I put into my body.  Other good reads of 2009? Water For Elephants and Chelsea Handler's Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea and My Horizontal Life.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Musical discovery? I feel like this is where I would say I taught myself to play the guitar or something. My greatest musical discovery is that name dropping albums I want magically makes the songs appear on my iPod (thanks Andi)

26. What did you want and get?
A wedding ring. Also for my parents to come up to Minnesota more (which means we had to drive down there less)

27. What did you want and not get?
Actually, nothing really comes to mind. Other than a Volvo S40.

28. What was your favorite film of 2009?
I'm not really the kind of girl who swoons over movies and watches them over and over again. But if I had to choose one, I'd say Forgetting Sarah Marshall or The Hangover.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28 in 2009. I love birthdays and always wanna do them up big so we invited a few of our friends over to celebrate. That was the night my rolling pin was violated by Andi's friend and a black magic marker. We'll just leave it at that.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
An infinite volume of wealth. Otherwise, my year was pretty darn good the way it was.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2009?
I hate fashion - it's so much pressure to look cute and skinny and trendy. Truly my fashion sense in 2009 (and my ideal really) is flip flops, jeans and a comfy tee. Oh, and I like scarves this year too.

32. What kept you sane?
My girlfriends and my mom. I read this quote by Jennifer Gardner the other day which I find appropriate "I don't care how much Ben works as long as I have girlfriends to bitch about it with." Also, my blog. I started Live Inside My Bubble in April and it's been a great outlet to write about all the crazy things floating around in my brain.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?
The economy. I'm fortunate Andi and I have good job and a beautiful house over our heads. But there are so many people out there who do not and it breaks my heart.

34. Who did you miss?
My neice Brookie. It's hard watching her grow up from a far. She changes so much each time I see her

35. Who was the best new person you met?
I developed two great friendships with Julie and Val this year for which I'm very thankful.

36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Seriously committing myself to marriage this year was a big life lesson. It's no longer about me anymore and I'm not the only one calling the shots in life. This has truly taking some getting used to on my behalf, but it's also exciting to have someone share my life with. We're building a life together, actually, and that's an amazing thing.

37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"If you liked it then you should have put a ring on it" Beyonce

2 comments:

  1. Haha - we were doing this at the same time. Now you do realize your New Year's resolutions from last year sort of work against each other right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, but you gotta live a little too right? Ideally the goal would be to SAVE the money before you take the trip ... but we'll see how that goes :)

    ReplyDelete