Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas 2009 - Nebraska Style

Andi and I left for Christmas in Nebraska on Wednesday afternoon against the advice of many weather forecasters. Nebraska and the entire Midwest were set to experience a nasty blizzard on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It took all I had not to throw myself on the floor in a toddler tantrum at the very thought of not being able to make it back for Christmas. Andi and I alternate holidays with our families so it'd been two years since I was home for Christmas and I already had my mind set on going. So, we left the Twin Cities at Noon and headed South for what was sure to be a long drive. The roads got progressively worse as we drove into Iowa. About half way there, we saw a rollover accident on Interstate 35 South. We and twenty other cars were the first to arrive on the scene and jumped out to help the stranded driver, pinned upside down in his truck. A few minutes later, the police arrived and told us to continue on our way. It was a pretty graphic scene which reminded us to continue driving slowly on the clear sheet of ice. We pulled into my parent's hometown about 9:30pm that night - thankful to have made it safely.

Thursday was Christmas Eve. My mom had to work all day, so Andi, my Dad and I made appetizers for our family Christmas Eve celebration at my aunt Cheri's that night. It snowed all day long; the weather was pretty wicked by the time we left for church that evening. Some of the churches even cancelled their Christmas Eve services in the area. After church we went to my aunt's house for food and presents. Then we came back to my parent's house to open our family presents. Brookie was still wide awake so we decided to do Santa Claus then too. We had such a great time watching Brookie open her presents. She really understood what it meant to open presents this year and was so excited by every present she opened.

Andi made a video of our Christmas celebration. See below to view:


Mentgen Christmas - 2009 from Andi Dickson on Vimeo.

We leave for Minneapolis tomorrow morning. The interstate's been closed all weekend so hopefully it's open for business tomorrow and the roads won't be too bad.

Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

  1. It was great seeing you both! Love the video. Drive safe tomorrow : )

    ReplyDelete