Monday, November 12, 2012

A New Chapter

Oh hey, I quit my job the other day. That might be worth mentioning on the ol' blog. I made it six years at my workplace, which is a bit shocking when I think back to the gallons of wine I consumed after work every day to get me through that first year. Somehow I adapted to a very different work culture than I was accustomed to and over time, I folded right into the landscape. On most days, I enjoyed what I did and felt accomplished about the work I contributed.

It wasn't a small straw that broke the camel's back or one big incident that pushed me over the edge. Andi came home from work at the end of October and said he had some good news and some bad news for me (isn't that how it always goes)? The Good: I could quit my job tomorrow, he said. Our aspirations for family, finances and careers were falling into place. Why wait until a second baby is born or some date we'd circled on the calendar. The Bad: The year 2013 means work, work, work for my husband. The upside/downside of owning a successful small business.

For me, all I've ever wanted was to be a mother and now that I am one, there's no place else I'd rather be than at home with my baby girl. Meet my new boss: she's one high maintenance lady.


I'm so very fortunate to have this opportunity to raise my little girl every single day. I have big dreams for our time together. I know the road ahead won't be all sunshine and rainbows; I've been a part-time at-home mama long enough to realize there's a lot of poop and puke and mess in my future, with not a lot of recognition. I know I'll be doing the solo parenting gig more often than I'd like (remind me of this post when I"m down-in-the-dumps lonely and frustrated with Andi's crazy work schedule). 

My bosses were very supportive of my decision, and truly weren't all that surprised. I've really enjoyed my time working there and now I'm ready to start a new chapter in my life. My priorities have changed and I'm anxious to do something I know I'm really good at: being a mom.

So, here goes nothing! My new gig starts November 21.

15 comments:

  1. congrats! That is so awesome. I envy you. I would love to be in your place with my little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations! You are SO very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, congrats, congrats, congrats!!! I am beyond jealous, but that is so awesome for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Heather!! It might be the most difficult job out there - but definitely the MOST rewarding of them too! Sounds like we're kinda in the same place right now - with the hubby's traveling a lot and us being home - look out for future phone calls :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Enjoy your new job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU SISTER! ESPECIALLY AFTER MY DAY AT WORK TODAY, IM TOTALLY JEALOUS! THINK OF ALL THE CHRISTMAS BAKING YOU'LL GET ACCOMPLISHED!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for you!!! That is awesome news : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Exciting! I also recently quit my full time job to stay home. My hubby travels so much that we decided i either needed to be home or he had to look for a job with less travel. I'm sure you'll make a smooth transition...and how lucky you got to work all of those Saturdays this fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! It'll be wonderful to be doing exactly what you want to be doing! While it's not full time SAHM'ing (which I think is such a tough job, frankly!), I can tell you how AWESOME it is to find the job - and get the job - that is the one you imagined for yourself. Congrats lady - it's going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!!! Being a SAHM is wonderful! Feel free to message me if you're looking for any out of house activites to do! I feel like I know them all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOD! Congrats on your decision, very happy for you that you'll be doing what you want to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super news! Enjoy your time at home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Heather! That is great news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HEATHER. Why did we not get to talk more this weekend? Because, guess what? I'm quitting, too!! And told everyone who would listen at the Blathering! My bosses still don't know, though, so let's hope they don't google my username or something:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats!!!

    Looking forward to various playdates and outings together!!

    ReplyDelete