Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Season of Celebrating

Now that Halloween's over, I'm diving head-first into the Christmas season. I think it's because last year as a new mom, I felt so overwhelmed by the holidays. I basically threw up the bare minimum of holiday decorations around my house and hardly baked a thing. I just didn't feel like myself. This year though, life with Tory is much simpler. She's growing into an age where she likes to make crafts and help in the kitchen. I even bought her a tiny little apron and I can't wait for her to wear it!

Last year, my in-laws gifted me this advent calendar for Christmas and I'm dying to fill it with holiday activities for our family this December. Tory might be too young to truly appreciate each daily activity, but soon she'll remember the traditions we've created and the memories shared together as a family every Christmas season. Of course I'll try to document each day's activities here, so someday she'll be able to look back at all the fun we had together.

After scouring Pinterest and blogs for ideas, I've come up with my own list of December advent calendar activities. Most of them aren't anything original, just a mix of age-appropriate toddler activities, some of my own favorite childhood memories and a few new traditions I'd like to start. Here's my list, enjoy!

December 2012
1 - Bake Christmas cookies
2 - Host a Christmas Cookie Exchange for friends and family
3 - Decorate a felt Christmas tree (I better get to making it, ha!)
4 - Make cinnamon applesauce ornaments
5 - Make homemade Chex Mix
6 - Make lefse with Grandma Janie and Auntie Lindsay
7 - Deliver holiday treats to the neighbors
8 - Go to the Holidazzle Parade and Macy's Christmas Santaland display in downtown Minneapolis
9 - Go see a live nativity scene
10 - Decorate a gingerbread house
11 - Attend Wonder Pets! Save the Nutcracker at Mall of America
12 - Take a picture with Santa Claus
13 - Open a special Christmas gift (snowflake pajamas)
14 - Drive around with hot chocolate and look at Christmas lights
15 - Have a picnic dinner under the glow of the Christmas tree
16 - Go ice skating in St. Paul's Rice Park
17 - Make Christmas construction paper garland
18 - Sing Christmas carols
19 - Open a special Christmas gift (a Christmas children's book - Target is featuring some in their $1 Hot Spot right now)
20 - Choose a toy and donate it to a needy child
21 - Read a Christmas story together
22 - Eat a special holiday breakfast with Nana and Papa
23 - Color a Christmas picture
24 - Make reindeer food to sprinkle in the yard
25 - Celebrate Jesus' birthday

5 comments:

  1. Love it! I've actually been scouring the internet lately for a nice advent calendar because I want to do the same thing this year. Allie is definitely old enough to get into the traditions and I LOVE Christmas so much that I want to create some exciting memories with her. I might have to steal some of the ideas on your list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at your great list already!! We are working on ours it will not be as near as organized - it will probably just be a list of activities that we choose from each day!

    I am anxious to also make the felt Christmas tree!! It has been on my list to get to the store soon to get the supplies : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEEEEE Christmas so very very much, and Annie is definitely at the age where she'll enjoy everything. I've already started making plans - we're doing a holiday tea with a few other mom/daughter pairs at Brits pub, we always do Holidazzle and Macy's 8th floor, and Grand Meander too. So fun!! I'm going to try to motivate to make some version of an advent calendar for us - yours is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your calendar! I especially like that it offers a special activity/memory rather than a treat or present. I can't wait to start celebrating Christmas, but I need to get through Thanksgiving first before decorating and whatnot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS FOR THE CHRISTMAS COOKIE EXCHANGE INVITE! THAT WAS SO NICE THAT YOU WERE THINKING OF ME!
    IM SO EXCITED TO GET OUT THE ADVENT CALENDAR TOO! BROOKE WILL HAVE SO MUCH FUN WITH THAT!LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete