Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankful

By now, I'm sure you've seen the daily posts of gratitude people are sharing on Facebook this month. I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon for this sort of thing, but it has sparked a bit of thanksgiving reflection in my own life as I prepare for the upcoming holiday. Aside from the obvious things like fantastic friends and family and the opportunity to be a stay-at-home-mama (of which I am very grateful for), lately I'm also thankful for the blessing of life and some of the simplest pleasures.

My very best friend, Ashley, gave birth to her first child yesterday and I'm absolutely over the moon about the news of her baby boy's arrival. Not only does this mean I have another little one to love and spoil to pieces, but now I'm also connected to my best friend on a whole new level. I'm trying reeeally hard to give her space to adjust and learn her new role as a mother but I'm just so stinkin' excited I could burst right through the phone and squeeze her! Tory and I are flying down to Nebraska to visit them in December and I can hardly wait to hold him and give my friend a giant hug. God is so GOOD. What a blessing.

I'm thankful for new friendships, like those I made in New Orleans this past weekend or local ones like Raising Snowpeas. This year I've worked to develop new friendships and it's paying off. At 31 and after living in this city for six years, I finally feel like I'm hitting my groove and coming into the woman I'm suppose to be. It feels good to grow in new ways.

Sometimes it's the small things and lately I'm thankful for Starbucks. Maybe it's a true reflection of my adulthood, but I'm grateful for coffee every single day. I NEED IT. It gives me the get-up-and-go to be a better mom, smarter employee and kinder person. Thank you, caffeine. You really are the best.

As my final day at work draws closer, I'm thankful for the relationships I made there with people I would have likely otherwise never crossed paths. Today as I shared my news of departure with some of my colleagues, everyone thanked me for my efforts and contributions in a lovely, genuine way. It made me feel really special. Appreciated, even. I'm leaving that place on a good note with far more positive memories than the opposite.

I'm thankful my kiddo is sleeping through the night. 'Nuff said.

I'm grateful for technology which allows me to capture memories forever and keep me connected to those far away. Today I was digging through old photos of Andi and I in the early days of our relationships and I was just so glad I had those tangible mementos to hold onto forever.

Life happens so quickly that it's easy to zero in on what's happening right before you. I'm thankful for moments of clarity when I can step back and see all the wonderful things happening around me. I AM SO FORTUNATE and I want to give thanks for life's biggest and smallest blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! The big things and the small things. Sometimes I focus far too much on the big things and forget about the little things that happen every day that I should be thankful for. And, I too am thankful for my new friendship with you :)

    ReplyDelete