Monday, November 5, 2012

Blame it on no sleep

My little family of three spent the remainder of the weekend at our lake cabin. After a busy Saturday of working (for me) and solo-parenting (for Andi), getting there felt like a bit of a hassle but we're committed to using the cabin as much as we can this winter. Plus, Andi's work schedule is about to become crazy-busy so getting to the lake, even for one day, seems worth it.

For the last 15 minutes of our drive, I rode in the backseat with Tory to avoid a melt-down screaming session and oh man, was that a bad idea. I was so nauseous by the time we arrived! The older I get, the more car sick I become sitting in the back row of moving vehicles and it doesn't help the last few miles to the cabin are full of curvy roads. I felt progressively worse throughout the evening and finally went to sleep around 9pm.

To top it off, Tory slept like garbage Saturday night. I'm not sure if it was sleeping in a new place or her one-year molar just about to poke through her gums, but we finally brought her to bed with us around 3am (which was actually 2am with the end of Daylight Savings Time) and endured jabs to our faces from little arms and legs for the remainder of the night. At 6am, Andi and I finally got up because none of us were sleeping anyway. Our little Tory Bean was so grumpy Sunday morning. At age 14 months, she's learned how to throw a toddler tantrum and spent most of the morning rolling around on the ground and whining relentlessly.


Tory and I kept ourselves occupied in the house while Andi went outside to rake up the massive pile of leaves around the lake house. We spent most of our time on the stairs as she perfected the skill of going up and down. At home, we have stairs that are gated most of the time so when we're at the cabin, she loves to go up and down, up and down, up and down. My lack of sleep the night before made this game feel endless and no matter how many times I tried to distract her with another activity, we always found ourselves back on the stairs. So this is where we sat, for three hours.


Meanwhile, Andi was in his own personal hell, tackling the massive leaves situation outdoors. Score one point in the Do Not Own Your Own Cabin category: lawn maintenance for two properties really stinks. By the time he finished, we decided to pack up our things after lunch and head home with the hopes Tory would take her afternoon nap during the drive. Andi is not a lover of manly-men projects so he in a foul mood having finished the leaves task. I just wanted five minutes of quiet with no toddler whining. GAH.

Not a very fun-filled weekend at the cabin, unfortunately. I think we were all relieved to crawl into our beds last night and put another Daylight Savings Time behind us. That day always feels like the loooongest day of the year.

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember - did you guys buy the property? Or just rent it for a full year? It does sound like such a fun place to have, but, like you said, maintaining additional properties sounds like a TON of work!

    I think A would die to do leaves at two places!

    I'm sorry you seem to be in one-year-molar hell. TEETH!

    ReplyDelete