Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Mom's Mashed Potatoes

Andi bought a Costco membership a few months ago and today, on my first official day as a stay-at-home-mom, I decided to go check it out. Apparently, I'm an idiot and forgot it was the day before a holiday. It was nutso in there.

Everyone raves about Costco - amazing deals! great selection! giant tubs of sour cream! - but I've had a hard time understanding why you'd need that much of anything. Today though, it made sense. I stocked up on boatloads of crackers and baking goods for the holidays and ingredients for my Thanksgiving contribution at tomorrow's family gathering: mashed potatoes.

This afternoon, I slaved away in the kitchen during Tory's afternoon nap time. I made my mom's famous Thanksgiving mashed potatoes, complete with sour cream, cream cheese and butter. They're fabulously creamy and oh, so delicious. The best part is, you can make them ahead of time so there's no fuss on celebration day.

Mom's Mashed Potatoes
5 lbs potatoes (or 1 large box of instant potatoes)
1 1/2 packages of cream cheese
2 cups of sour cream
3 tsp. onion salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter


Combine all ingredients together and place in a greased casserole dish with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. May be kept in refrigerator for up to two weeks. Makes 8 cups.


Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment: